Artificial Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've heard that wrecks/artificial reefs, etc. increase the amount of aquatic life in the ocean. Is this true, or is it that creatures already out there are just attracted to these places? It seems to be great for divers seeing stuff. If the actual populations of species increases, what would be the reason?--Just more of them in one place and easier to multiply as opposed to where they all used to be? I just can't discount the thought that artificial reefs are promoted by governments because of the need to get rid of all this junk somewhere. Kind of like when the U.S. had the 55 mph national speed limit 1974-86 and the gov't brought in "55 saves lives" to make it look good. Whatever happened to that slogan? Appreciate any info.

If you plant a wreck on an otherwise featureless sandy bottom, you are creating prime real-estate for corals and fish to grow. There would be a net increase in animal numbers.

Dr. Robert Shipp of the University of South Alabama says artificial reefs create fish at twice the rate a natural reef does. I have deployed over 30,000 artificial reefs (www.reefmaker.com) and I concur.

Thanks, I'm convinced. I'd like to know specifically what makes the populations grow. Is it as I suspect, that there are simply more creatures closer together for reproduction?

I'm not learned in this subject but I'll give it a go. A reef is essentially a 'building' which gives corals an opportunity to descend from their planktonic stage and start to burrow in to the substrate and live out their normal life-cycle. Corals give small plankton eating fishes a home, and as the reef grows in size, it may funnel currents concentrating the plankton for schools of free-swimming plankton eaters, and the food-cycle carries on.

Some reefs are wide and flat with little in the way of varied topography. I liken these to living on the prairie. The biodiversity of the fish and corals is quite low, but if you spend the time looking around you do sometimes meet some interesting characters.

Pinnacle reefs offer a variety of light conditions and current strength. They may have small overhangs etc. allowing for a larger diversity of organisms. I like these to skyscraper buildings which may house a variety of different shops, offices, some apartments etc. Moving from the basement to the penthouse changes the 'real estate' very quickly.

A shipwreck is a bit like the irritant that causes oysters to create pearls.

Thanks for the info. Now I know that it happens and why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom