Has anyone visited the Derawan Dive Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitphys

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thinking of spending some time there. Anyone have any thoughts/feedback on the quality of diving as well as lodge/guides there? Obviously the Channel sounds great if we time it right, but how good is the macro relative to say Lembeh or even Bali (Amed, Seraya etc)
Thanks guys

Visited there a few years ago. No one seems to go there anymore. I was only diver for 7 days. Got ripped off on boat transfer from mainland. Ok macro but not as good overall as Lembeh, Ambon or Bali. Maluku Divers in Ambon is great if you haven't been there. No crowds.

Thanks jcclink. Maluku is very high on our list, just a bit tough to do on this trip since it's somewhat short and also since unfortunately I have to remain a bit connected to work back home while traveling (which might be tough to do in Ambon as they say internet connectivity is very limited). So another time. Thanks a lot for the response.

Here is a blog you might want to read. TASIK Ria Resort & Tasik Divers | all you want to know about us It looks like the resort is run by Tasik Divers. We dove with Tasik Divers while in Bunaken and we were very happy with our experience with them. Have fun! BTW.. I agree with jcclink about Maluku Divers Resort. We have been there 2x and it is top notch!

Hi Mitphys,

Most of the dive sites are around the Maratua island, even by speed boat, it will take you close to 2 hours just to travel from Derawan to Maratua islands. This sort of inconvenience is negate if you're under tight budget. Otherwise, stay with Maratua Paradise Resort.

The other dive sites are located at Sangalaki & Kakaban (jellyfish lake) which take around 1.5 hour just to reach by speedboat.

I do know that Derawan jetty is nice for macro photography.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom