Fishy faces under the blue.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As Phil described in his report, surface water off Redondo last weekend was tantalizingly blue, with suspended particles of marine snow.

Phil peeled off, hoping to find the wolf eel on Phil's Reef.

One Metridium farcimen was open in the usual cluster.

The crane off Haggarty's had blue surface water with poor vis at depth. Although the moray eel wasn't home, other fish were cooperative subjects.

Margaret Webb would have had fun with these rubberlips.

At the landing craft, 5 GSBs buzzed us repeatedly for nearly an hour. Vis was 10 feet max, so they'd appear and disappear quickly. At the very end of the dive, "Spot" decided to get a closer look.

Some kind of injury or infection on the gill cover?

Minutes later, a sandstorm materialized out of the west, suddenly reducing vis to nearly zero, and forcing us back to the anchor line.

That's a fantastic capture on the Garibaldi -- they're such restless fish, it's hard to get a really good shot of them. And the head-on rubberlips picture is wonderful, too!

Superb series Merry! Exceptional composition on the Sheephead capture. Love her pose! Excellent GSB encounter as well.

That's a fantastic capture on the Garibaldi -- they're such restless fish, it's hard to get a really good shot of them. And the head-on rubberlips picture is wonderful, too!

While not a photog, I've noticed that they're somewhat territorial and you can get them to charge you by coming in close. Presumably that would work by shoving a dome port in their direction? The wife likes to play with and photograph them. Very cool fish regardless.

Very cool picture of the GSB. Somehow in all of my dives in California I've yet to see one...:(

The shots are impressive, and more so considering the limited viz. environment. Nice to see a big sea bass shot. What camera setup was used?

Richard.

nice.

What camera setup was used?

Phil and I both shoot a Nikon D700 with Ikelite DS-161 strobes and Subal housing. I used a Nikon 60mm lens for these shots. (And thank you.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom