Liveaboard Jan 7th to Jan 15th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devoDan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to the site and this is my first post (hopefully many more to come).

I fly into Male on Jan 7th and leave on Jan 15th and am currently trying to finalize which Maldives live-aboard I will choose. Thanks in advance for your help!

First, for background, I just dove the September full moon in Komodo on the MV Black Manta and it was amazing! There was insane current a lot of the time, but super rich and dense sea life. 25m of visibility was pretty normal when we weren't diving in a washing machine. Lots of big pelagics and giant oceanic mantas and intense action dives. For example, on one dive we went into 6 knots of current, on purpose, just for the fun of being rocketed through a narrow passageway at top speed (the dive was appropriately named "The Shotgun"). Lots of drift diving and dives involving coral hooks, strong current and pods of Fusilier getting eaten by reef sharks, white tip, trevally, etc.

How will the current during 3/4 moon in the Maldives compare?

Any thoughts generally on the quality of the diving in the Maldives vs. Komodo from people who have done both?

Next, as far as boats go, it looks like the MV Monsoon and the MV Carpe Vita have trips that fit my schedule. Are there other boats I should be considering?

I am single and traveling alone, am a 31 year old American male, AOW and EANx, only about 50 dives logged since I first got my open water cert in Mozambique in June 2012 but am a former pro athlete in great shape and am very open to more challenging diving. I rarely dive with a camera. I don't require tons of luxury, just tons of safety, Nitrox and great dive sites and guides. I had a really fun and young group on my last trip with lots of people travelling solo. Would love to have that again. Makes a big difference during those pesky surface intervals.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

Dan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom