Pepe' the Wolf Eel photo attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We planned to get some still shots of Pepe' this morning, followed by at dive near the Topaz pilings to videotape the possible destruction caused by the dumping of Marina del Rey dredge.

We metered the pilings and could see them on the fishfinder, so at least they are not buried. The water was not only too dirty to dive, but from the foam on the surface it was probably very unhealthy. Scott Susoeff and Ian Uhalt stopped by in the Batray to say hello. We also saw Scott and Margaret Webb and Jim Lyle coming back from a miserable lobster dive, at least as far as Margaret was concerned.

Pepe didn't seem to like the canned crab we brought him and barely stuck his head out. I didn't get a chance to get a better shot. Visibility was about eight feet when we descended, but cleared to more than twenty feet by the end of the dive. We're used to that happening in the reverse order.

DSCF5881.jpg

ScottSusoeffDSC_6000.jpg

FoamatVetsDSC_6003.jpg

FoamysurfaceDSC_5998.jpg

PhilsReef7-1.jpg

PhilsReef6-2.jpg

PhilsReef3-2.jpg

PhilsReef5-3.jpg

PhilsReef2-3.jpg

Redondo Beach Artificial Reef, about 3/4 mile outside of King Harbor. There are wolf eels on many of the deeper wrecks all over Southern California, but this one and the two on the wreck called the African Queen near Long Beach are the shallowest and nearest to shore I've seen.

Woah, that foam looks scary. I would have avoided that myself. Awesome Pepe w/Blacksmith capture. Nice framing. The best one of him yet.

May I suggest the little weiners in a can? I can't recall what they're called but I know the fish; both fresh and salt water love those weiners.

thnx for sharing

Back
Top Bottom