Looking For GSBs In All The Wrong PLaces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After watching Scuba Fever's video last week, we set out this morning in search of giant sea bass. We saw five last week on the Landing Craft, but wanted to experience the thrill of finding dozens at once.

We tried a spot on the Redondo Beach Artificial Reef but found few interesting critters. We ran into Scott and Ian on the Batray at one of their "secret" spots. Ian said there were many GSBs, bat rays and Molas beneath the boat. After they left we quickly dropped the hook and geared up.

After thirty minutes I hadn't seen anything to photograph. While making a safety stop, a giant sea bass ascended my line and came within two feet of me before slowly turning. Naturally, I had already turned off my camera and strobes. I fumbled for buttons, turning on the camera and quickly firing off a few ambient light shots.

RedondoArtificial1.jpg

RedondoArtificial2.jpg

RedondoArtificial4.jpg

RedondoArtificial3.jpg

RedondoArtificial5.jpg

RedondoArtificial6.jpg

RedondoArtificial9.jpg

RedondoArtificial7.jpg

RedondoArtificial8.jpg

RedondoArtificial11.jpg

RedondoArtificial10.jpg

RedondoArtificial13.jpg

RedondoArtificial15.jpg

RedondoArtificial12.jpg

RedondoArtificial14.jpg

RedondoArtificial17.jpg

RedondoArtificial16.jpg

RedondoArtificial18.jpg

RedondoArtificial19.jpg

RedondoArtificial20.jpg

RedondoArtificial21.jpg

RedondoArtificial22.jpg

Dig the barnacle growth on Señor Crab! Nice silver school'er capture as well. What is the yellow spotted white plume critter in pic 14? Some type of worm?

Yes, is that some kind of tube worm? I've never seen one like that, and they're beautiful.

All I can say is that, for a dive when you wandered around for half an hour looking for something to shoot, you sure got some great pictures . . .

I heard from an associate that they had observed about FIFTY giant sea bass at an undisclosed site off Catalina last month. I've never seen more than 18 at a time.

I was hoping for a repeat of Bill MacDonald's experience at the Star of Scotland. We went later that week and found quite a few, but nothing like his dive.

Back
Top Bottom