What to see Maldives'underwater in late November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbnet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

I go to Maldives (Eriyadu Resort) next month, 8 days from the 23rd.

I just wanted to know if the season is good to see Mantas and/or whale sharks. Is there any chance to looking forward to meeting these wonderful fishes, or is it bether to hope beeing lucky? :)

Thanks for your answers!

Gilles

Generally the sites near Eriyadu are quite nice wall drifts but Im not aware of any manta cleaning stations. The op at the resort do organise longer boat trips to other areas in male or ari atoll where the target is manta and whalesharks. Nov is at the cusp of wet to dry monsoon so still chance of an encounter, though you can find mantas year round.

It is very likely you will see mantas - although no guarantees. When I visited Eriyadu they organised day trips to Lankan (near Male) to see the mantas. Dive sites around Eriyadu were really good, not overcrowded, with nice corals, grey reef sharks, whitetip sharks, stingrays, eagle rays, moray eels, lots of fish etc. Whale sharks are a bit less likely in North Male atoll, AFAIK. Here is the link to a video clip from my trip in Sep 2008 - which included a liveaboard and Eriyadu resort combination (sorry not the best quality :wink::
Maldives diving Sep-Oct 2008 - YouTube
Manta clips are from Lankan, the whale shark is from South Ari, which I visited on the liveaboard.
Eriyadu is a very nice resort, and the dive centre (Eurodivers) was well run, staff very friendly.
Have a nice trip!

Your DC staff will know the spots where mantas are spotted on the most regular basis. However without an established 'cleaning station' you have to be a bit lucky to see them on the fly.

November should still have mantas on the eastern side of the atoll, near the channel exit. High tide generally has better conditions for mantas to feed at (or close to) the surface.

Back
Top Bottom