Thoughts on UTD Alpha/Delta + SS Backplate + Hollis Elite II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xitesmai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm have been looking for a BC solution for awhile that can accommodate BM single and doubles as well as SM single and doubles if restrictions are an issue or if I just want to dive SM.

I recently stumbled across UTD's Alpha/Delta Hybrid Wing with 37# lift and can be configured for BM or SM, but I havent seen many reviews of this wing.

Anyone used one of these? Are they as hard to dump a the Z-wings?

I was planning on combining this with an SS backplate and Hollis Elite II for BM or Rec SM, and a SM harness in restrictions.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've got a few hundred dives on my A/D wing, both sidemount and back. Overall, it is outstanding, very few wings can do what it does, as well. I've got 2 of my close friends to buy the systems as well. No complaints. I like the options of backplate or Z harness as I travel and dive cold and warm water.nice new adjustment system as well. I use a standard harness with the BP and it works very well. I just picked up a z wing so I have even more options as they swap out very easy. I know there are those that dislike anything UTD but you'll find that with just about anything. I dive it and I like it. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, cheers.

So I'm have been looking for a BC solution for awhile that can accommodate BM single and doubles as well as SM single and doubles if restrictions are an issue or if I just want to dive SM.

I recently stumbled across UTD's Alpha/Delta Hybrid Wing with 37# lift and can be configured for BM or SM, but I havent seen many reviews of this wing.

Anyone used one of these? Are they as hard to dump a the Z-wings?

I was planning on combining this with an SS backplate and Hollis Elite II for BM or Rec SM, and a SM harness in restrictions.

Any help would be appreciated.

The thing is it's very nice to have an all in one system but very often there really isn't a one solution for all.

37lbs might not be sufficient for a drysuit doubles bm setup especially with steel tanks perhaps decompression will be able to chime in on this.

Before you decide on what to get I would strongly recommend that you take some dives with a dm/instructor or very experienced diver who has tried different setups. Edd Sorenson in Florida for example, Netdoc, decompression or anyone who can show you in detail what each system is like.

Just my 2 cents but I believe in the correct setup for each type of diving.

I have a sm singles/multi tank and singles setup that I can use for tropical diving up to multi tank drysuit dives however, I would not use it for bm doubles/multi tank diving.
That is my go to setup for most of my singles/light travel/sm multi tank diving.

The retail systems that could function for that are:
zeagle express tech, a modified transpac, UTD however, few systems allow for concurrent bm/sm diving.

For BM doubles, a bp/w is the way to go. Even the transpac requires some hardware to make it suitable for bm doubles.

Cheers.

decompression, How is the build quality compared to the Z-trim? I currently own a z-trim and am looking for a larger capacity wing. I am concerned about the "exposed" inner bladder material where the dump valve and inflator attaches. Does it also have pleated side panels? Is the back(exposed side) single or dual layer?

Thanks!

The thing is it's very nice to have an all in one system but very often there really isn't a one solution for all.

37lbs might not be sufficient for a drysuit doubles bm setup especially with steel tanks perhaps decompression will be able to chime in on this.

Yeah I totally hear what you are saying about there not being an all in one solution. I would like to have the greatest cross capability while I gain more experience. When in the Navy we dove old Calypso's with BM doubles on a plate. I am concerned about the 37# lift max. but for the foreseeable future I'll be diving wet. My current plan is to dive as much as possible and try as many rigs as I can. So far I have dove, a Hollis Switch-Back, Ride, and of-course the horse collar. I have been avoiding the jacket styles since I'm progressing towards more tech diving. My LDS has a few SMS 50s and an SMS 100, the down side is that I'm on the small side so all the harnesses/wings are for larger people (or setup for the rig owner).

I figured I couldn't go wrong with a BP/W and a simple harness like a Hollis Solo. Just choosing the initial wing is proving difficult.

I guess I'm just trying to find something that will work well in "most" scenarios.

decompression:
I know there are those that dislike anything UTD

Why is that? Are there quality issues? Just curious here.

decompression, How is the build quality compared to the Z-trim? I currently own a z-trim and am looking for a larger capacity wing. I am concerned about the "exposed" inner bladder material where the dump valve and inflator attaches. Does it also have pleated side panels? Is the back(exposed side) single or dual layer?

Thanks!

Build quality is very good, durable and puncture resistant. The inner bladder is a double layer that will move independently of the actual bladder. Both wings protect the inflator very well as it sits covered by the wing and close to the body. I tried the A/D for BM doubles and although it can, it's not recommended. The inflator touches a tank so you have to mount in the lower position (SM style) and most people aren't familiar with this. It does steel 120s very well as SM (I use drysuit with this) and all sorts of tanks single SM. The z plus is great for more SM lift but the A/D does that plus a very good single BM....a very versatile wing. AG posts some awesome videos on the UTD site and youtube, gives you a very good idea of how things work. Ill post some pics from my laptop.

---------- Post Merged at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:39 AM ----------

UTD has some detractors as they tend to be very progressive and that tends to go against the old guard of tech/cave divers. What I like is that they encourage you to think about your set up (and training, and diving...) and see what makes sense. No quality issues that I know of, I like the fact that they are constantly trying new ways of rigging (just like I do) and use feedback from their many divers and instructors.

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Thanks!

how did a pic of my camera get in here? ........well, it is for sale.......

photo1.jpgphoto3.jpgphoto4.jpgphoto5.jpgphoto6.jpg

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Im not sure on the AD but the Hollis Elite II is great, I love mine.

Yeah I totally hear what you are saying about there not being an all in one solution. I would like to have the greatest cross capability while I gain more experience. When in the Navy we dove old Calypso's with BM doubles on a plate. I am concerned about the 37# lift max. but for the foreseeable future I'll be diving wet. My current plan is to dive as much as possible and try as many rigs as I can. So far I have dove, a Hollis Switch-Back, Ride, and of-course the horse collar. I have been avoiding the jacket styles since I'm progressing towards more tech diving. My LDS has a few SMS 50s and an SMS 100, the down side is that I'm on the small side so all the harnesses/wings are for larger people (or setup for the rig owner).

I figured I couldn't go wrong with a BP/W and a simple harness like a Hollis Solo. Just choosing the initial wing is proving difficult.

I guess I'm just trying to find something that will work well in "most" scenarios.

If you are going to going to be diving wet and not going to be using a lot of heavy gear I don't think you could go wrong with deepseasupply or the bp/w setup combo by caveadventurers.

I have nothing against hollis however, for the same $, I see nothing wrong with with DSS and the bp/w combo from caveadventureres (diverite or oms plate, oxycheq wings etc) or DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System too.

Another great alternative is the Zeagle express tec which you adapt for sm diving. Try and see if you can swap for the 30 doughnut wing instead. It's so cheap at $260. As a singles and travel bd I don't think you could beat that price lol!

Cheers,

I bought the A/D after diving in Carlsbad with Jeff S. I was using my beloved oxycheq for my twin HP 80's. Prior to that wing I'd used an 94# OMS, 45# OMS, a Zeagle, a halcyon and a Scubapro wing. He noticed I was just a bit "leg" heavy during our first dive, he said "try this", a UTD Alpha doubles wing. Wow, what a difference, not only in trim ( after hundreds of tech dives and endless tweaking I thought I had everything dialed in) but in ease of propulsion and movement. Soon after I tried the A/D. I genuinely thought most wings were the same with few differences, after looking closely at the wing design and diving them, I sold all my other wings and picked up the UTD trim devices. I don't think many people have had a chance to try the UTD wings, once I did, I liked it. Just my 2 PSI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom