Wakatobi Trip Report 23 September through 6 October 2012 Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redseal1tx

Registered
Reaction score
1278 miles NW of GCM; 4697 E of Midway Islands; 1
# of dives
2500 - 4999
THANK YOU TSandM FOR YOUR HELP.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A LONG TRIP REPORT.

Part 1: Travel, Travel Tips
Part 2: Resort Accommodations and Diving
Part 3: Photos

TRAVEL:
A group of 24 divers traveled from Austin, Texas to Wakatobi S.E. Sulawesi, Indonesia flying with United Airlines from Austin to Houston. Singapore Airlines whisked us from Houston to Bali. Actually there wasn’t much whisking on a trip like this since the Houston to Moscow leg was 11 hours and the Moscow to Singapore leg was 12 hours. There was a 5 hour layover in Singapore before we flew to Bali. We spent 3 days in Bali which was truly a cultural event that should not be missed if you have the chance. The flight from Bali to Wakatobi was about 3 hours. We saw the most amazing turquoise water and atolls between Bali and Wakatobi. Make sure you have your camera with you for the 3 hour flight. There is a 8 minute air conditioned jeep ride from the Wakatobi air strip to the pier where one of the Wakatobi dive boats transported us to the Wakatobi resort; about a 20 minute boat ride.

We flew Singapore Airlines in Economy class. Don’t freak out, Economy class has 37% more legroom than any U.S. airline. I’m 6’2” and my knees did not touch the seat in front of me. The reason we didn’t upgrade to Business Class was the cost. Economy Class cost approximately $1,700 per person; Business Class on our flight was in excess of $7,000 per person. We figured that we could save the money to buy t-shirts in Indonesia.
When flying Economy Class on Singapore Airlines you are limited to ONE carry-on bag; not one carry-on (rolling bag) and a personal item (back pack, briefcase, messenger bag, etc.). The one carry-on bag must not weigh over 15 pounds and cannot be over 45 cubic inches (length+height+width). Economy Class Checked Baggage is limited to one bag no larger than 62 cubic inches and a second bag no larger than 45 cubic inches. Each checked bag cannot weigh more than 44 pounds. If luggage exceeds the weight limitation or size limitation the penalty starts at $160 per bag. The weight penalty also applies to your carry-on bag.

We flew United Airlines from Austin to Houston. United is a Star Partner with Singapore Airlines. When we got to the United ticket counter in Austin, I requested that our bags be checked all the way through to Bali. Although it took a bit of time, the United representative was able to check the 4 bags from Austin to Bali. (By checking our bags directly to Bali we avoided having to handle our bags in Houston, and we didn’t have to pay the bag fees from Austin to Houston because we were on an international flight; saved $140).

SINGAPORE AIRLINES PROVIDED AN EXCEPTIONAL LEVEL OF SERVICE. The Flight Attendants were ALWAYS pleasant, ALWAYS smiled, and were falling all over themselves to make sure we were comfortable and having an enjoyable flying experience. Singapore Airlines service is second to none.

BALI. We were lucky enough to have the services of an English-speaking travel guide named “Merta” for our three day stay in Bali. Merta was fabulous dealing with 24 travelers and educating us on Balinese customs, traditions, language, etc. Merta was most informative and very amusing. We had several choices of excursions in Bali that included an the Barong and Keris cultural dance at Batubulan Village (amazing), the Rice Terraces at Tegallalang Village, tours of several temples including Gunung Kawi Temple, lunch in a restaurant that overlooked a Mount Batur Volcano in the Kintamani District (the food was buffet style and was excellent), a trip to the Baboon sanctuary, exploring a local wood carving establishment, a tour of the finest quality silver jewelry shop, elephant rides through the jungle at Carang Sari Village that lasted about an hour, and local shopping. For tour information and prices please see the information provided at Bali Volcano Tour

Travel Tips:
1. Moscow Airport
When you fly Singapore Air from Houston to Singapore, there is a 45 minute layover in Moscow. We were required to exit the plane into the Moscow airport. Follow the Yellow Signs that say “Transfer/Transit” (the signs have several translations including English). The walk is good to stretch your legs. Go up the escalator or stairs that take you into a secure lobby area. Get in line and do a “180” to go back through a security screening area where a helpful Moscow airport employee will check your Passport and Singapore Airline Seat Ticket stub (MAKE SURE YOU BRING YOUR TICKET STUB OFF THE PLANE). After our Passport and Seat Ticket Stub was checked, we passed through a security checkpoint that requires an x-ray of your carry-on luggage. When we passed through the x-ray machine we were met by two more Moscow Airport Security Guards who will check your Passport and Seat Ticket Stub. Once we passed the last two security guards we re-entered the terminal and walked to the Singapore Airline gate to board the same plane we just exited. THERE ARE VERY LIMITED OPPORTUNITIES TO PURCHASE FOOD AND WATER IN MOSCOW’S AIRPORT. When we got to the Singapore Airlines gate, we had to show your Passport and Seat Ticket Stub. Our carry-on bag was searched by another Moscow Airport security guard.

2. Singapore Airport
Singapore Airport is a city trapped in a large building. The stores in the airport are numerous to say the least. You can find a 7-11, numerous restaurants including Dim Sum (outstanding), Tiffany’s Jewelers and everything in between. The airport also has a Transit Hotel where a shower costs $8.00 USD or rooms are available to rent for a minimum of 6 hours at a time. The Transit Hotel has a Standard single room which rents for $76.51 Singapore dollars which converts to $62.61 USD. The Budget single room is $47.08 Singapore dollars which converts to $38.53 USD.

Each airline gate has its own security screening area before you get to the jet way. We made the mistake of buying bottles of water at the 7-11 for the flight to Bali only to find out that we couldn’t take the water through the security gate. There are no food, beverage, or restroom facilities in the waiting area at each gate.

3. Bali Airport
Our travel group was fortunate to have a Balinese tour group representative waiting for us when we landed. The tour group rep took each of our passports and $25 USD each through the line where Balinese Visas are purchased for short term visitors. Having the rep help our group benefited us by not having to wait in line with hundreds of other travelers waiting to get Visas. After the Visa fees were paid, we were guided by airport security to claim our luggage. The rep took us through the International terminal and to a waiting bus to take us to Sanur Beach Hotel. This process was extremely smooth.

4. “Traveler’s Intestinal Distress”
We had no problems with traveler’s intestinal distress related to the food or water. We always drank bottled water and asked that the bottle be brought to us so that we could open the bottle ourselves. As a preventative measure, we chewed 2 Pepto Bismol tablets on our first day in Bali and never had a problem with the food or water. I recommend the tablets over the liquid because they are easier to pack in your carry-on bag and don’t weigh anything (remember you are restricted to 15 pounds for your carry-on bag).

5. Dress Code in Indonesia
We were informed by our guide that if women travel outside the resort, either Bali or Wakatobi, women are required to cover their shoulders and their thighs. If women wear shorts outside the resort, a sarong is the most convenient wrap to cover their legs. My wife wore something called “Capris” which look like pants that spent too much time in the dryer; Capris are acceptable outside the resorts.

6. Money Exchange:
I got to be a millionaire twice while we were in Bali. We exchanged $150.00 USD into Bali Rupiah. Each time we made the conversion we received 1,485,625 Rupiah. We had the best success with the highest conversion rates at the local Currency Converter facilities that did not charge a commission.

We stayed at the Sanur Beach Hotel Bali which offered a lower conversion rate than the local Currency Converter facilities. If you walk out of the hotel and down the hotel entrance road you will come to Jalan Danau Tamblingan (the road outside the hotel entrance); it’s any easy walk. This road has many shops, restaurants, massage facilities, and Currency Conversion facilities. Each Currency Conversion facility offers different conversion rates for the USD so do a little shopping.

7. Electrical Current Converter
If you are traveling from the US, make sure you have both grounded and ungrounded electrical converters for your electrical equipment. A helpful resource for locating electrical converters is Voltage Valet scroll down the page to locate Indonesia click on the “B” and “GUB” links to see the type of converter you will need. The converters will cost $10.00 with a $10.00 shipping charge. If you buy both converters from Radio Shack they will cost in the $25 dollar range.

When flying Economy Class on Singapore Airlines you are limited to ONE carry-on bag; not one carry-on (rolling bag) and a personal item (back pack, briefcase, messenger bag, etc.).

This seems to be contrary to Singapore Airlines baggage rules here, specifically rules when flying from/to the USA.

Allowances

If you scroll down, you'll read ...
Articles Allowed Onboard
You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):

• Ladies' handbag
  • Overcoat
  • Umbrella
  • Walking stick
  • Laptop / Notebook
  • Small camera
  • Reading material
  • Infant’s food for consumption in flight / infant’s carrying basket
  • A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them
I've always carried my reg bag as my personal item, and never had a problem on ANY airline, but this Saturday is our first Singapore Air experience. Are they in fact different from any other airline in this respect?

This seems to be contrary to Singapore Airlines baggage rules here, specifically rules when flying from/to the USA.

Allowances

If you scroll down, you'll read ...
Articles Allowed Onboard
You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):

• Ladies' handbag
  • Overcoat
  • Umbrella
  • Walking stick
  • Laptop / Notebook
  • Small camera
  • Reading material
  • Infant’s food for consumption in flight / infant’s carrying basket
  • A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them
I've always carried my reg bag as my personal item, and never had a problem on ANY airline, but this Saturday is our first Singapore Air experience. Are they in fact different from any other airline in this respect?

Highdesert,

Your are correct about the differing information regarding Singapore's Baggage rules for Economy Class travel from the USA. Several Economy Class travelers on our flight, relying on the baggage information on the Singapore web site were accessed excess baggage fees for having more than the single carry-on.

I made three telephone calls to Singapore Airlines, 2 on the 800 Customer Telephone number and 1 to San Francisco's Singapore Baggage Locator. All 3 responses were quite clear that Economy Class passengers get one carry-on bag.

I was able to take my regulator, 1 change of clothes, 1 book, dive computer, sunglasses, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a stowable hat in my carry-on backpack for my trip. My backpack weighed 14.7 pounds, just under the limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
redseal1tx -

I'm confused ...

You say the baggage weight limit on Singapore is 20kg/44lbs, even though their website says 23kg/50.6lbs. But you originated your travel on United (50.6lbs weight limit) and had them check your bags through. If that was the case, the only real issue with Singapore was your carry-on, correct? Where did Singapore agents check baggage weights, and was it only yours and other passengers' carry-ons, not checked baggage?

The sad thing is that I think they may make the rules up as they go. I've flown EVA a few times where they will weigh your carry-on before you get on and then they won't. Sometimes they charge, sometimes they don't. We ran into the same thing with UAL. When they found out the excess pounds were scuba gear, they said it was fine - no fee. It's crazy and I often wonder how much it has to do with the agent you're working with? I'll be flying Singapore, too, and am concerned about the carryon limits due to my camera gear. Another thing on their website is the excess fees for scuba gear. I guess I'll be prepared to pay and hopefully will hear about everyone else's experiences as they travel.

Our reservations also start on United, and the whole ticket was written by them. It says in print, on the same page as our reservation code, that we have a 50lb checked baggage limit from origin to Denpasar and return. We are, however, subject to Singapore's carry-on limit. That gives us a 65lb total to work with, and between dive gear and camera gear, it's tight, but I think we can make it work.

I look forward to parts 2 and 3. Wakatobi is on my bucket list. Saving for it now, thinking 2014 or 2015.

Highdesert,

I don't blame you for the confusion. You're dealing with 4 elements; United web page, United personnel at the ticket counter in Austin, Singapore Airlines web page, and Singapore personnel at the Houston ticket counter. None of the 4 elements were in sync.

Our group trip was booked for travel between Houston, TX to Bali. We had to make separate travel arrangements from Austin to Houston. The United rep in Austin initially was going to charge us for checked baggage fees from Austin to Houston. When I mentioned that we were connecting to a Star Partner in Houston (i.e. Singapore) the "domestic" checked baggage fees were waived since the baggage would be traveling internationally.

The United rep in Austin told us that it was a good thing we had not exceeded the 44lbs weight limit for Singapore Airlines. If we had exceeded the Singapore weight limits, United would definitely charge us for the excessive weight.

The baggage that was weighed took place in Houston at the Singapore ticket counter. The Singapore rep weighed each checked bag and each carry-on bag. Those who exceeded the weight restrictions were allowed to get out of line at the ticket counter and rearrange the contents of their bags (checked and carry-on) to see if they could make the weight limits. For those who couldn't make the weight limits they were charged the excess weight fees.

One traveler on our way back from Wakatobi had purchased a wood carving in Bali that he carried on the plane. He already had a backpack, so he had 2 carry-ons in Economy Class. The backpack cleared the weight limit. However, the wood carving that could fit into a carry-on bag (nothing huge) cost him $160 USD.

These are the experience that occurred in Houston, they may differ in your departure airport AND the person at the Singapore counter.

redseal1tx -

I'm confused ...

You say the baggage weight limit on Singapore is 20kg/44lbs, even though their website says 23kg/50.6lbs. But you originated your travel on United (50.6lbs weight limit) and had them check your bags through. If that was the case, the only real issue with Singapore was your carry-on, correct? Where did Singapore agents check baggage weights, and was it only yours and other passengers' carry-ons, not checked baggage?

---------- Post Merged at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:36 AM ----------

dmoore19,
Keep saving those dimes, nickels, and pennies. My wife and I saved for 5 years for this trip that was for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The travel and the Wakatobi experience are well worth the sacrifice of saving your pennies.

Spot-on review of Moscow. We found it to be pretty much exactly how you said. I would have liked an extra hour to walk around, that's for sure. Getting right back in that seat for 12 more hours was rough, especially on the way home.

We are going to Lembeh (Jan 2014 haha!) and have decided to go Austin - LAX or SFO - Tokyo - Singapore for a change of pace this time around. I don't recall them weighing my backpack I carried on, but I can't say for sure they didn't. I am sure our bags were 48-49lbs each though, and we didn't pay a penalty - this was a year ago, though.

We will fly coach as well, as $9800pp for business class Austin to Manado is just not worth it. Now, when I can swing an upgrade for ~2k or so I do it no question!

I was on the phone this morning with United about a flight number change, and when the agent re-sent our itinerary, it listed baggage allowances for three separate legs ...

Durango, CO to Singapore: 50lbs/23kg
Singapore to Denpasar: 50lbs/23kg
Denpasar to Durango, CO: 50lbs/23kg

Our entire trip is on one ticket, all done by United. Checked baggage is checked through to Denpasar. The only issue, in my mind, is our carry-on weight, but if we can get all of our boarding passes when we originally check in, we won't even have to stop at a Singapore counter at LAX. We'll still do our best to hit the Singapore weights, but theoretically we have no business to conduct with them, given the way our ticket was written.

We shall see ..... :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom