dive -San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcbeaudry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello So-Cal divers-
I'm on my way to the san diego area for work - i expect i'll have a little time
off to dive while i'm there - what are the preferred must-see local spots in the San Diego area ?
local dive clubs or shops that organise outings ?

if anyone is interested in showing someone their favorite dive spot and looking for a buddy - please
let me know - i have 'odd' availabilities - mondays, tuesdays are best - weekday mornings , but
i could always call in a favor to cover me at work for a great dive opportunity -

thanks !
marc

Hi Marc -

If you're interested in the wrecks, you have the Yukon and the Ruby E - along with a few others along wreck alley. The Humboldt and the Lois Ann are both top-notch operations. The Ruby E is spectacular for macro photography.

Have a wonderful trip!

I just got back from San Diego. I dove with Waterhorse charters. I was very happy with the boat and operation. I did a 3 tank trip, 2 on the Yukon and 1 on the RubyE. They have a lot of info on their website and their schedule is also online.

I'm a shore diving guy, love hitting up La Jolla cove. Its a nice shallow, colorful shore dive. Do it at your leisure sorta thing. I tend to do long dives there with my duals, just starin' at the fishies! Tis my favorite shore dive around here cuz its so accessible and usually doesn't have much surf, so its easy lugging around my gear. Plus because its a semi-shallow dive (40 - 60ft) its relatively warm.

If you browse around the link Phil posted "dive bums" you will see dive boats, Water Horse, Marissa,, Lois Ann, great easy operations.
I know The marissa offers some awesome coastal kelp dives, La Jolla Kelp / Bird Rock, Point Loma Kelp / Green tanks.
Awesome easy dives with obviuosly the kelp forest & lots of fish & sea life.
Me personally would take a kelp dive over a deep wreck any day, but thats just me...

Never dove with Power Scuba but have heard good things & have bumped into Bill Powers a few times:
Power Scuba (aka Scuba Diving in San Diego County) (La Jolla, CA) - Meetup

One of the larger local shops has a dive club & does organize local La Jolla Shore & other near-by shore diving:

San Diego Scuba Diving - Ocean Enterprises

House of Scuba may also do the same, im not sure.
If you have the time Catalina dive park has awesome diving & thick kelp, great viz most of the time compared to the local stuff cuz it an offshore island..

Where do you want to start?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom