Lembeh Resort or Kungkungan Bay Resort? Can't decide. Please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curiousgeorgie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Lembeh sometime in the spring of 2013. After reading many reviews and trip reports from this site and other sites, I've narrowed down my choices to Lembeh Resort or Kungkungan Bay Resort. Having trouble deciding which one to go with. Anyone have any opinions?

I would probably have gone with Lembeh Resort but one thing is holding me back. My concern is that the bathrooms are outdoors including the toilet. Whenever I use the toilet or shower, am I going to get eaten by mosquitoes?

Does anyone know the condition of the dive boats at Kungkungan? I read some reports stating that their boats were dated and they were having trouble with them last year. Have they been replaced or overhauled?

Do both of these resorts cater to Americans? I would prefer to not be the only American in a resort full of foreigners. Most of the trip reports I read about Lembeh Resort were from foreigners.

Does anyone know which house reef is better between the two resorts?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Why not KLR? My wife and I loved our stay there.

Hi curiousgeorgie

We stayed one week in Lembeh Resort this summer. It was great and we really enjoyed it. But, as you say, our bathroom was outside and my boyfriend had to fight the mosquitos for me while I was taking a shower.. If I remember correctly there are also rooms with inhouse bathrooms. Ask Helen, the managing director directly, she will be happy to help yo.

During our week in Lembeh resort we met almost only Americans. I don't think you willl be the only ones.

We enjoyed our two dives at Lembeh housereef and even saw critters which we didn't see anywhere else. Everything depends on your guide. We had a really good one, he always had to use both sides of the small white board they are always carrying with them.

One thing you also have to consider: some of the bungalows are quite up the hill and you have to "climb" a few times per day. As the food was good and there was always plenty it helped us to stay in shape :wink:..

Unfortunately I don't know KBR. Hope my information still help you a bit.

We have been to KBR 3x. We absolutely LOVE that resort. The house reef is fantastic . The guys will help you gear up if you want them to and they are there to meet you when you get back and haul all of your gear and tanks for you. The dive boats were fine when we were there all 3x. The bathrooms are inside your room. Upgrade for sure to the T bungalows or beach front bungalows. The whole room in these are Air conditioned and you also get a TV( if you are into that.) In the other rooms only the bedroom is Air conditioned. The dive op manager's name is Kaj and he is amazing. Be sure to watch some of his videos because they are superb! They have a wonderful spa and they offer deals on massages, scrubs , etc. I love the Teruja coffee scrub! The food is wonderful and you can order what ever you want. KBR is like doing a LOB on land. Very well run operation! The workers are so fantastic and so friendly and you will love them and this resort! Have fun!

Do both of these resorts cater to Americans? I would prefer to not be the only American in a resort full of foreigners. Most of the trip reports I read about Lembeh Resort were from foreigners.

Remember when you're there that you're an American, not an Indonesian ... just another "foreigner." :wink:

I book both resorts and rate them very similar although Lembeh is slightly more expensive. I just had two ladies from Bejing spend a week at KBR and got OW certs there. They loved it and plan to return. Both resorts have great muck diving and KBR will tell you it started at their resort. If it comes down to choice, I'd probably say your budget is the factor.

That said, I also book Two Fish Divers (locations Lembeh, Bunaken and Bali) and YOS Divers (locations Lembeh, Bunaken, Komodo, and Bali) which offer a bit more basic facilities at less cost. Two Fish is $785 for 7 nights superior cottage, but no A/C or pool.

We always have good rates for Lembeh and KBR and I will discount when possible. I am just posting info and photos on Two Fish Lembeh on Facebook.

Facebook Liquid Diving Adventures | Facebook

Website Scuba Diving Destinations - Vacation Specials - Liquid Diving Adventures

We spent five days at KBR and LOVED it. The place is beautiful, the food was great and the service was simply fabulous. The dive guides knew the sites so well that they could tell us just where they were going to show us a frogfish or other critter, and the hot tea and cookies after the dives were just lovely. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I stayed at Lembeh Resort three years ago. I enjoyed it very much and the diving was fantastic. Boats and dive guides were very good.
One thing that made me choose Lembeh Resort is that it is on Lembeh island and not on the mainland, so you have nice views of the volcanoes and sunsets from your terrace. Also in the afternoon the resort is longer exposed to the sun, here it starts getting dark quite early at six pm.
I enjoyed the open air bathrooms, taking showers under the stars listening to birds. There were some insects but not too many. Actually I prefer this kind of bathroom to dark and humid cubicles.
We were in one of the rooms high up on the hill but this means you have more privacy and fantastic views. You must be fit otherwise request one of the older rooms situated next to the restaurant-pool area.
Guests staying were from many different countries, also America.
Unfortunately I never dived the house reef as I was just too tired after three boat dives.
I would love to go back to Lembeh Resort.
I think both resorts are a very good choice. They offer the same level of accomodation with very experienced dive guides and very good service.

Thank you to everyone that replied to this thread. Your input is greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom