oms workhorse vs hog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Diemer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any thoughts as to which one is better? I'm looking at getting a new setup for starting tec diving. I will upgrade my regs the further I progress into tech. But I'm wondering from people who have had experience with these regulators.

What regs do you have now? How deep do plan on being in the near future? The progression to tec, should be a long road with stops along the way to enjoy the ride and hone your new skills. The first stop you will make is at 150fsw, with one deco stage and doubles. That will be intro to tech, advanced nitrox, and deco procedures, or simmilar titles from another agency. You have a lot more to think about starting down this road than regs. YMMV
Eric

I only plan on going to deco and that's about it. I'm a commercial diver by trade so I don't have any interest in trimix since I'm always gas diving anyway. I have some Hollis regs now but I don't really like them. I don't wanna spend a bunch of money on halcyon or scubapro. But that's the gist of it. I plan on going through intro all the way to deco within a year. So I have a bunch of time

The OMS workhorse I'm thinking of is a simple piston first stage--of a different design than the HOG piston--and an unbalanced, non adjustable (without opening the reg up) 2nd stage.

While the OMS Workhorse is a fantastic regulator, it's a very, very different style than the HOG regs. Hose routing is very different, as well.

I use HOG for backgas and stages, OMS Workhorse for deco, and am very happy with each in their respective uses. The routing for the Workhorse wouldn't work as well for my backgas, and I like having my primary 2nd stage externally adjustable, but both of them work just fine.

Hose routing is huge. I switched to scuba pro ( used ) just for the hose routing. The easy breathing G250 was a bonus!

You might want to fix up your profile to reflect the fact you commercial gas dive, so your dive count is way off. Had I known that I would never have pointed my post the direction I went with it.
Eric

OMS has utterly horrible customer service. Maybe it's a good reg, but you can forget about getting any warranty work done if needed. Best to go with the Hog.

OMS has utterly horrible customer service. Maybe it's a good reg, but you can forget about getting any warranty work done if needed. Best to go with the Hog.

What he said............I have two of the OMS "Deep Perfomance" diaphram regulators (different brand name so not positive they're identical on the inside)
and they have a few fiddly bits that seem convoluted to me, eg, the seat lifter is two pieces. I suuuppose one could argue that if one were to bend the lifter shaft, one could replace it. If you're bending the lifter shaft, maybe you should'nt............................

HOG seems to have fantastic customer service. You can easily get to the head of the company (and under his skin) if you have a problem. Any problems seem to be resolved almost instantaneously.

Last edited:
At least you can get the schematics for it. I haven't been able to find any for the Coltrisub/OMS ones I described.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom