Would Sidemount feel more comfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
I realize that I have not done a lot of diving, I just have a feeling that sidemount diving would feel more natural or comfortable to me, but after reading all the info on new divers and sidemount diving, am I crazy? It just feels like I am back heavy with a wing. Anyone else feel this way before they switched?

i dove today with a guy who prefers sidemounts to doubles. even singles. he said he swears by it

I'm a big fan of sidemount. Love it. Feels great, I enjoy great trim, it's just awesome.

But I'm also a big fan of backmount. Love it. Feels great, I enjoy great trim, it's just awesome. Singles or doubles, both are great.

Tanks are still gonna be heavy, no matter where you put them, but it does feel different.

I'm not sure of who is diving Sidemount consistantly on the island but Todd Powell in Vancouver could arrange for a demo, he's cave diving in Mexico right now but if you go to the unified team diving website it has a contact email. I was in Vic last week, too bad as I had 2 SM rigs with me. Anyways contact Todd and see what he can do. Or, Greg McCracken of ocean quest in Burnaby.

Thanks for the info, I realize the weight is not going to change no matter which way you go but I am definately interested to see how sidemount would feel. I may have to give those guys a shout and see if I can try it out.

I'm a new convert to sidemounting, I have over 1200 backmount dives, but just under a dozen sidemount (all in fresh water).
I've dived with twin aluminum 80's & twin 98 steels & I don't find the aluminums create a back heavy feeling, but the steels certainly do.
That said I do find sidemount feels more comfortable & ballanced.

Mike D

my first time in sidemount was a fairly profound experience. it was as if everything became clear that this was how scuba diving is supposed to be. very natural and comfortable feeling.

So is all the talk about "beginners" should not be diving sidemount BS or do you need to get to certain point before one should attempt it? I realize everyone's comfort level is a bit different, perhaps trying it out once will answer the question for me.

I am also a recent convert. Took a class, not so much for the cert, more so to avoid some of the learning curve. The instructors were knowledgable and regularly dive the gear. Now I am happily puttering away with finding the right configuration for me while having the time of my life underwater with improved bouyancy characteristics, great trim, and two full tanks of air.

I don't know if it is more comfortable than backmount doubles, but it is certainly more comfortable than my backmount HP 119.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom