Saturday 20 OCT 2012, incredible viz & schooling black seabasses Anacapa backside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All four dives from the Explorer boat were around Cat Rock. The first one was further out to sea, the second one was closer to shore, the third and fourth were west from Cat Rock a bit, but overall it's around that area.

Temp was consistently 66-F with the fourth dive I found a thermocline that dropped temp down to 61-F. Viz was ridiculously good: blue water and the worst spot was easily 60-ft plus horizontal. I'd classify the first and second dives to be close to 100-ft viz if not that.

Bottom of the sites were covered with brittlestars, very little kelps, a bunch of small California seahares running around, lots of perches and blacksmiths. However, just like the title said, the black seabasses were schooling. Or whatever the correct terminology is. I lost count at fifteen GSBs. Others said that they've counted up to 20 of those bad mamajamas. They were circling the wagon for lack of technical terms. Cruising at around 30-ft depth or so sometimes in groups of 2s or 3s, but pretty much cruisin' head to tail around an area that is maybe 300-ft in diameter. Most of them just did their thing but a few approached divers. One of the smaller ones, about 4-ft long, came dead straight to my face and eyeballed me for about 10-seconds.

I came out of a trench and saw two GSBs swimming and said to myself, "Self, 'tis your lucky day!!!" So I followed them a bit until I saw three more. Then four more, then more, turn around, there were some in the distance. Looking up, there were some over my head.

There were so many that all of the divers have seen at least four or five.

Then came the second dive closer to shore (for the OW students), anchor was on a 25-ft deep reef and I dropped off its ledge to go down to about 60-ft. Then I saw one (it dwarfed me so I'm guessing 6+ ft) that was swimming like it had a purpose in mind. Suddenly it lunged to the right and all the little fish scattered. I surmised that it was hunting. Soon after a trio also sped by me like torpedoes and more little fishies scattered.

Third dive was a bit west of Cat Rock. Lo and behold, I jumped in and there was a pair of GSB at the anchor line. Alas, they didn't want to stay and play once the divers were in the water. Shortly after they left the area, a 4-footer bat ray swam by.

Fourth dive came and as I was standing at the gate contemplating if I'd see GSBs for the whole four dives. Alas, no GSBs on the fourth dive, but I did find a 3-footer swell shark sleeping under a rock and some huge lobsters.

Too bad the sun wasn't out or otherwise the viz would have been unrivaled. Now I'm sitting at home sicker than a dog, coughing my lungs out with all sort of green stuff (TMI), but man, it was worth it!!!

Nice. We apparently had a feeding cluster of about 50 giant sea bass off Catalina a month or so ago at an unidentified site. There were lots of baitfish in the water. The divers returned thewre a few days later and the baitfish and GSB were gone.

Dr. Bill, there were no baitfish that I saw. Lots of blacksmiths and some senoritas.

Back
Top Bottom