Anyone using the Hollis HTS 2 harness???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i've been looking to purchase a BP/W set up for a few weeks, but i'm still trying to make a decision. i was leaning towards the ScubaPro X-Tek harness, but then i just stumbled upon the Hollis HTS 2, which says that its easily conferted from a single tank pack, to BP. I'm still a new diver, so doubles may be a lil ways away, but i want that capability. Anyone using this? how do you like it?

Right now you are probably thinking that the padding is nice but you don't need it. I would just go with a pure BP & Harness (one continuous piece of webbing), you don't need the plastic buckles (just one more thing to break) and if harness is adjusted propperly, it will be very easy to get in and out of both on land and in the water at the surface Hollis is making a nice quality product these days and the ScubaPro X-Tec Pure Harness is identical to a Halcyon Eclipse system (they worked with them on this).

Same, No need for Padding & Plastic Clips, just a basic harness! Just had a guy come in a couple of weeks ago with Transplate, got rid of chest strap and switched out harness to one continuous piece of webbing and he is in love with it.

I use a TransPlate. Northern California Kelp diver. Hike coastal cliff trails. Very comfortable Rig. Very solid unit with no sway when hiking. Left shoulder QR to take the Rig off easily. Chest strap to bring shoulder straps to correct position for hiking. Padding on shoulder straps for comfort while hiking.

Check the Hollis website. I think the holes are not standard for all wings. So unless it is some killer deal, it is better to stay with something standard that every part is interchangeable.

I use a TransPlate. Northern California Kelp diver. Hike coastal cliff trails. Very comfortable Rig. Very solid unit with no sway when hiking. Left shoulder QR to take the Rig off easily. Chest strap to bring shoulder straps to correct position for hiking. Padding on shoulder straps for comfort while hiking.

Yep. What people don't understand is that Dive Rite and Halcyon don't just make "tech gears". They make tech gears for some serious stuff. There's a reason why Dive Rite came out with the paddings and the way the Transplate/Transpac rest on your shoulders and back, and it all has to do with cave exploration diving. Unlike regular cave diving where you unload your gear at the water entrance then go for it. Cave exploration requires people to hump their gears in and out of the water while crossing hills and dells.

Of course, 99% of the divers aren't hard core like the GUE and Dive Rite people, and thus don't need these fancy harnesses. However, don't kid yourself that these harnesses are just for bling.

While I stopped doing the hiking/shore diving a few years back (not too much fun for me), I sure appreciated the way the Transpac helped carried the load.

Just to show you, you don't need the padding. Here is a photo of my 10yr old daughter in her Halcyon BP & W with No padding, and Yes, LH/SH Reg Config and Yes, she does everything herself! This photo was taken at Dutch Springs in Pa where you have to walk up and down a pretty steep hill to get in and out of the water.

Back in the day, I too thought that the plate would be uncomfortable and that you needed the clips, chest strap and padding until one day someone showed me the light and I have never looked back. I just wanted to point out the the padding is over-rated but in the end the decision is yours. If you feel that you need the extra stuff then go with it.

Attachments

• RachelHalcyon.jpg
    RachelHalcyon.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,529
i have what seems to be a fairly good deal on a HOG setup. basic hog harness. SS back plate with 32lbs wing. hog 1st stage and 2 hog 2nd stages with cold water kit. everything for around 1300 taxes in. seems like a good price. i just figured the chest strap and shoulder padding would be nice to have. i know that when it comes to tek diving, less is more. just wanna make sure i get something good thats gonna make me happy for a long time.

You will be happy with that HOG purchase! Once you get several dives in with it you will see that the other stuff is not needed. Good luck with your new gear!

Edit: random rambling is bad mkay ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom