Lens for a new Nikon D800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdennelly

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Nikon D800 camera for underwater photo. Does anyone have any recommendations for good WA and macro lens for this camera?

I do not use my D800 underwater, but absolutely love my 105mm macro lens up top (and wish that Sony would get working on something similar for my NEX-7 underwater). From the photos of fellow photographers shooting with other Nikon DSLRs and the 105mm, the results are spectacular.

I also use the 105, but on a D7000. It's a pain to focus on that platform, but it would be great on the D800. For WA, have a look that the Tokina 10-17. It's my favorite lens by far...

May I ask which housing you are using?

For wide angle you'll probably want to use a Sigma 15mm FE or Nikon 16mm FE lens. The Sigma focuses a lot closer than the Nikon. For more reach, the 16-35 is probably the best bet. I did try shooting the Sigma 15mm along with a Kenko 1.4 TC to good effect.

Soft Coral & Gorgonian Fan by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

For macro the 105VR is the best bet. I like to use it with a +5, or +10 diopter, depending on how close you can work to your subjects.

Squat Lobster by Pixel Letch, on Flickr

DX lenses like the Tokina 10-17 won't work with the larger sensor on the D800, nor are they sharp enough.

Jack

I am in the process of changing from a D90 to a D600 underwater and face the same issue. Macro is easy - 105 hands down. I did just upgrade to the VR version - much faster focus, but I miss the confirmation that the lens is seeking focus as the VR is so quiet.

For wide angle, I'll likely miss the Tokina 10-17, but will be thrilled to get my Nikon 16mm behind a dome again. I really missed that lens. I have a Nikon 20mm as well - also a good lens behind a port. While it was nice having the zoom range of the Tokina, I feel my results with the 16 and 20 were better (film days). While the Tokina will work on the D800 or D600, not sure why I would want to. Viewfinder would be difficult to use and not sure why I'd want to use only part of the sensor. I have mounted both of my DX lenses on the D600 and it is not pretty. Works, but the viewfinder crop is enough to keep me from doing it again - especially in a housing.

Biggest dilemma is mid-range. I had grown fond of the 16-85 VR lens behind a dome port. Great go-to lens when you are on the fence of WA vs Macro. Still contemplating options there.

I'll second Jack's opinion, the Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, The Nikon 16-35mm f/4 and the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Macro VR, that would be a very flexible trio on which to built.

There a way to put the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame camera and have the full frame camera
NOT go to crop sensor mode? That would seem to be a nice setup for doing wide angle. You could
switch from horizontal to vertical without flipping the strobes around. Of course, you would have to
crop in post. Read this: http://www.danharperphotography.com/fisheye_mod.html That's with a
Nikon 10.5, but would be even easier with the Tokina's removable lens hood.

Chuck

The Tokina 10-17 won't work out well at all. It simply isn't sharp enough.
Jack

The Tokina 10-17 won't work out well at all. It simply isn't sharp enough.
Jack

Is there a comparable zoom fisheye lens that would work with a full frame Nikon camera?

Back
Top Bottom