Neck/Back Pain & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nereus

Registered
Reaction score
I injured my neck and upper back a few months back. I've been through physical therapy (12 sessions), taken a couple of pred packs. had an MRI done and am in the process of going back for more physical therapy and traction. My neuro surgeon says I have 4 bad disks in my neck, but they're not bad enough that they require any major attention right now.(not ruptured) They're pressing slightly on the nerves and causing a little discomfort, mostly tight muscles in the neck and upper back. He also says that there are signs of arthritis in the spine that I will have to live with. I had tingling in my fingers in one hand for a while, but that's gone. I fell like I'm getting a little better, but still not ready to dive. My Dr says that I can dive any time, but I don't feel ready. Is there any good excercises to strengthen neck and back muscles to get me back in the water sooner?

If your physical therapy involved neck traction, it might be a good idea to find a way to continue that at home.

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my neck and had surgery scheduled and cleared. I was just waiting for the day. I had noticed that i felt better after neck traction for a few minutes and then the pain would return. I rigged up a neck harness with 40 pounds of weight and hung it over the back of my chair as I watched TV. At least a couple of hours a night. After about 2 weeks of this, the pain stopped and did not return. I did not have the surgery for another 10 years.

I am in no way a doctor and this is just something that worked for me. It may not be of any use to to at all. I feel for ya, as I know the pain, numbness, and paralyses that goes with it.

I am not a Dr either but I have permanent nerve damage from a spinal cord injury and subsequent surgery. Actually, I was told that I would never walk again. I rode a stationary bike and then did a lot of walking against the water in a pool. Also did a lot of reverse crunches, vertical in the pool hanging onto the edge and bringing my knees up as far as I could.

I still have constant pain in my neck and back but I find that once I get down about 20 feet in the water a LOT of that pain is alleviated. If the Dr says you are ready to dive, and you can find a way to get into and out of the water without jarring yourself, I would go dive. If you pain responds as mine does it will be the most pain free waking time you have.

thanks guys,

cbm32, I had another friend that dives all the time tell me the same thing about being down under the water at 30ft or more. he says that the pressure "pushes everything back in place" and he feels good for a couple of days after diving. He's got fused vertebrae and even has an electronic nerve block thing under his skin. It's probably why he dives a couple of times a week.
The hardest part is getting all of the equipment on and walking down to the beach on shore dives. A boat's not too bad, but too expensive to do everytime I want to go diving. I'd give anything to feel even 80% right now.

Hello,

I had a major back surgery myself over 10 years ago now. I swam a lot to keep my back in shape. I feel like it made a big difference. Once you get yourself ready to get back into diving, you may consider taking a sidemount course. You can entry/exit without cylinders on. If you're use to using a standard AL80, you could use two smaller cylinders on your side (AL40's). I use to teach sidemount quite a bit and had several students take the course due to disabilities. Diving sidemount helped them get back in the water sooner and most importantly, more comfortably. Taking a cylinder off your back makes a huge difference in overall comfort in the water... Just a thought! :)

I wish you a speedy recovery and patience throughout the process.

- Lauren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom