Trip report - Dry Suit Class - NWGrateful Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So - as a warm water diver, I have always wondered what I was missing by not having experienced the cold waters available to our northern dive friends. I have contacted Bob Bailey on several occasions about visiting with him and taking a dry suit class. Unfortunately, something has always come up and I have not been able to visit.

That all changed in 2012. I had a work commitment in Seattle in late October so I arranged - - way back in May to get on Bob's schedule to take a dry suit class with him.

I visited with Bob and took his class October 19 - 21, 2012. The entire experience was exceptionally good. Bob was a first rate instructor and the fact that he liked St. Louis style BBQ ribs simply enforced my positive experience. I was able to fit into one of Bob's extra dry suits so that was a significant benefit.

We competed the book part of the class at Bob's home and then did two dives at Redondo Beach. I was introduced to the Redondo River on the second dive. The following day we dove with a couple of Bob's friends (Mark and Savannah) at cove 2. I will have to give Bob extra kudo's for his patience with my warm water diving style and my bouyancy issues when all the air in my dry suit went to my feet. Never a four letter was said - thought maybe but never said !!!

Some things that were different from expectations:

1) I did not expect a dry suit squeeze and was slightly unnerved by it on the first dive.
2) I expected to get colder than I actually did - including my face. I had some leakage with one of the gloves but even so, did not get as cold as I would have expected.
3) In general it takes better overall dive skills to dive cold water. There is simply more issues to deal with - which takes more concentration and paying attention. Us Bonaire type divers are clearly spoiled !!!
4) You need to stay closer to the bottom when diving in this area due to the more limited visibility - a situation in itself that in my opinion requires better bouyancy skills.

It this were trip advisor I would give Bob five stars.
Thank you NW Grateful diver for a first rate dry suit experience.

Thanks for posting your trip report. I am in the same position as you, a warm water diver about to venture into the cold murky waters in a dry suit. Your perspecive was interesting to me.

I, too, am interested in focusing my training in cold water (northern Cal, Tahoe, etc.), and I don't even have my OW cert yet! But I'm especially intrigued by drysuit diving. About the seals around the ankles, wrists and neck--they should be snug, but what about circulation? Is that ever a problem with a well-fitting suit?

LSF
:coffee:

They should be snug but not restricting.. The wrist seals can actually be pretty darn tight before they restrict circulation though.
The neck seal you can trim to an apropriate length and widen it with a pair of scissors and a bit of glue.
However, dont trim the seal too much - too long can be fixed, too short.. not so much..

More specifically, all the seals can be replaced, but its NOT cheap..

Thanks for posting. My first drysuit was delivered last week and it immediately got sent back for fit issues. I'm getting drysuit lessons when it comes back. I just got an invitation to spend a few days on San Juan Island at the end of January. Any tips on what else to expect? Will I be ready? How cold will it be?

Thanks for your expertise!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom