Electric eels and rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you know about the "shockers of the sea?" I gave the environment lecture to the OW class today and one student asked how much of a shock these creatures give you if you come in contact with one. Neither myself nor the instructor who was observing me (I'm working toward becoming an instructor so I can only teach with an instructor present) had any experience with any of these creatures and the book doesn't cover it. Does anyone know or at least know where I can get some answers so I can improve my lecture?

Ber :bunny:

I've been hit several times by electric rays and they do develop a nasty shock. Their shock can be up to 200 volts

Joe

electric fish,
name for various fish that produce electricity by means of organs usually developed from modified muscle tissue. The electric eel (Electrophorus electricus), a South American freshwater fish related to the carp, has organs along the ventral surface capable of producing from 450 to 600 volts of electricity-enough to light a neon bulb. Other electric fish include the electric ray, or torpedo; a freshwater electric catfish with a jellylike subcutaneous electric organ (probably of epidermal origin) that extends over the whole body; and various species of stargazer. All these fish produce electricity at will to paralyze or kill their prey, to repel their enemies, and to aid in navigation. Recent experiments have shown that when an electric eel is in motion it generates pulses of low-energy electricity which serve to detect the presence of nearby objects. Scientists believe that electric organs in fishes may function also in communication between individuals. Electric eels are classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Osteichthyes, order Cypriniformes, family Electrophoridae.

My family used to spend summers in Gulf Shores Al. My cousin accidently caught a ray on a rod and it zapped him when he went to take the hook out. Not real hard, just hard enough to let him know about it.

I stood on a ray in the water off the beach while fishing. I wasn't dong the stingray shuffle as I should have been. It hit me four or five times gradually progressing in strength before I moved. It was about a pulse per second. I didn't understand what it was until the third pulse and the next one I felt in the knee.

Thats the best I can do.

Tom

Thanks, you've been a big help!

Hey Cudachaser, does that leave a mark or just hurt?

Syruss you know too much! Ok, Cudachaser has been zapped by electric rays and is obviously still alive--thank goodness! Can any of these fish kill a human? I'm not very good at the volts thing in electricity. :confused: Do they vary the voltage (set the laser for stun instead of kill) or is it always high for an electric eel that isn't simply detecting prey?

Last question:

What's the first aid for this type of injury? :doctor:

Thanks a lot for all of your help! :) I did know the answer to the question the "class clown" posed though! "No, they do not need to be plugged in!" :jester:

Thanks bunches!

Ber :bunny:

I watched my buddy get zapped by an electric ray a couple of years ago in the Channel Islands off of California. I saw him jerk when he got shocked.

According to the crew, given the right conditions a ray can render a diver unconscious.

Roak

Ber,

The voltage varies.

No first aid necessary unless the victim is KO'd.

It isn't the voltage that kills. Its the amperage.

Tom

No problem Ber Rabbit,

I came up with that right off the top of my head using cut and paste from the brain techniques I learned at www.encylopedia.com ehehehehe

From the info that I read I would doubt that these creatures could cause any major damage, and even rendering someone unconscience is not likely in most cases.

But I would not recommend handling of them or standing on one for any length of time!

Thanks for the electricity lesson Tom, I learn something new every day! I printed that Creature Feature and put in my notes.

Syruss, can't believe you're one to give up your secrets!:) I added that page to my favorites so I too can be a bastion of knowledge like yourself! :wink:

Thanks a million!

ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom