Mares Matrix Firmware Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tubboy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wanting to update my Mares Matrix Firmware and downloaded the file Matrix_FW110.enc When I try opening the file, my computer says Windows doesn't know what program to open for this file.

Thanks in advance

I am having, what I think is the same problem. I just purchased a new Matrix computer for myself and for my husband. The beta version software that came in the box prompted me to install the updated version as soon as I launched it for the first time...so I did, along with updated drivers.

When I launch the Dive Organizer on my PC and connect my dive computer to the USB interface/cradle, the software does not recognize that there is a dive computer connected (on the "computer" tab, it says "Drak Mares Interface: Disconnected").

We've tried every combination of different matrix connected to different USB port and/or cable, tried both computers on a different PC, etc. Nothing works.

My roomates also have the Matrix (and their software works), but when they connect to either of our PC's.....nothing.

I've been talking with a software support rep, who basically said he would have recommended trying the same thing, but since I already had, his suggestion is to exchange the computers for new ones. I find it a very strange coincidence that BOTH of our dive computers would have come out of the box with the same problem...coupled with the fact that my roomates' computers, which work fine on their PC's do not work with ours. (In case you're wondering, both of our PC's are pretty new, so I doubt that's the problem).

As a last resort, I tried downloading the updated firmware (our computers have v 01.01.00), but I can't get my PC to run the .enc file (it can't figure out what program to open it with...after trial and error with many different programs, I gave up).

So, my questions are:

1.) is it definitely a firmware issue? if so, how can I open the .enc file to be able to install the firmware? If not:
2.) what are some other solutions, besides exchanging our dive computers, which I don't believe will help, as I'm fairly certain it's a software-type issue.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

did you trying running the software with admin privileges?

I am having, what I think is the same problem. I just purchased a new Matrix computer for myself and for my husband. The beta version software that came in the box prompted me to install the updated version as soon as I launched it for the first time...so I did, along with updated drivers.

When I launch the Dive Organizer on my PC and connect my dive computer to the USB interface/cradle, the software does not recognize that there is a dive computer connected (on the "computer" tab, it says "Drak Mares Interface: Disconnected").

We've tried every combination of different matrix connected to different USB port and/or cable, tried both computers on a different PC, etc. Nothing works.

My roomates also have the Matrix (and their software works), but when they connect to either of our PC's.....nothing.

I've been talking with a software support rep, who basically said he would have recommended trying the same thing, but since I already had, his suggestion is to exchange the computers for new ones. I find it a very strange coincidence that BOTH of our dive computers would have come out of the box with the same problem...coupled with the fact that my roomates' computers, which work fine on their PC's do not work with ours. (In case you're wondering, both of our PC's are pretty new, so I doubt that's the problem).

As a last resort, I tried downloading the updated firmware (our computers have v 01.01.00), but I can't get my PC to run the .enc file (it can't figure out what program to open it with...after trial and error with many different programs, I gave up).

So, my questions are:

1.) is it definitely a firmware issue? if so, how can I open the .enc file to be able to install the firmware? If not:
2.) what are some other solutions, besides exchanging our dive computers, which I don't believe will help, as I'm fairly certain it's a software-type issue.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

How do you do that?

Thanks!

I have tried under Admin...same problem...
I have searched the software and the web for some indication on how to update it and found nothing yet. Anyone solved this problem yet. The funny thing is that the Matrix is charging fine but it is not seen by Win 7 "my computer" window as an additional usb device...weird.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2013 at 06:58 PM ----------

OK...I think I have figured it out...

The main issue is in the Dive Organiser software version. When you load from the disk you get a really poor version of the software...really poor. The first thing to do is to replace that with the software from here...Knowledgebase - Powered by Kayako Fusion Help Desk Software

Just for your info the matrix driver for the USB connection is contained in the Dive Organiser software...the old crappy one only has the ICON driver. Its important to follow the directions carefully. I was connected to the internet so I choose the Web Installer, so my instructions are around that. Follow the direction and ensure you choose the file suitable for your system choose the 64 version for a 64 bit operating system or the 82(?) for the 32 bit OS. Don't worry...just ask me if you are confused re OS stuff. Part way through I think it asks you about the drivers. Pick the one that is not the ICON driver...hover over it and it will tell you that it is a multipurpose driver and it includes the Matrix. Install that. Once you are finished you need to restart.

Anyway, once your right version of the Dive organizer is installed you plug in your matrix into your usb port. Then open the Dive Organiser and it will find the matrix. Then (and this was the bit that I struggled with) the menu/tools across the top of the software changes from having Computer to MATRIX in it. The software has found the watch...magic. Now open the sub menu under MATRIX and in there you will find firmware update. Find the firmware file you downloaded and hey presto...it will update the firmware for you. Just like that. Now go into the Matrix web site and download the manual for the 1.2 version as it has changed some of the functions from the first version.

Boy oh boy Mares do not make it simple. It smacks of techos running the show and very poor documentation.

Anyway...please feel free to ask me questions if you are having problems.

Mick

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom