Looking for a little advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avengerki

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I know there are tons of these threads here. I have NOT done my open water certification yet, and will probably be waiting a little bit before I actually do the open water certification due to schedule conflicts. I was looking over the paperwork for when I do go to do my open water and it says a BCD with 40lbs of lift is required.

From the pool sessions I determined I prefer the back inflation style over a vest inflation style, and I also like weight integrated especially since I happened to release my weight belt at one point by catching it on the vest while making a bcd adjustment. I also liked the I3 but not sure if it would really be worth the extra money. I plan to be doing underwater photography and to eventually be doing cave and wreck diving. I will also be doing a lot of cold water diving as I am in the Pacific Northwest. I already have a thick wetsuit, regulator and dive computer this is the last thing I need/want to purchase at this time. In the pool with my full gear minus hood and gloves I have been diving with 14lbs of weight(at 12lbs I couldn't even get underwater) and figure in salt water I would probably be between 22-26lbs

I have been looking at the Aqualung Dimension I3, it fit very well and I like the I3. I have also been looking at some other weight integrated back inflation style BCD's but nothing has really popped out to me. After looking over this board I have also started looking into the BP/W but trying to figure out what wing would be good. Would a 32lb wing still work for the requirement the diveshop want/my dive goals or would I need a 38lb wing and call that good? I am also leaning torwards a steel backplate. Would using a BP/W lock me into using a weight belt or can the harness be rigged to allow quick release of the weight? Just looking at single cylinder for now.

Thank you.

In the pool with my full gear minus hood and gloves I have been diving with 14lbs of weight(at 12lbs I couldn't even get underwater) and figure in salt water I would probably be between 22-26lbs

Saltwater usually requires another 4-6lbs because of the salinity. My question is this 14lbs of weight...is it with your current rental BC & tank or is it with your wetsuit & fins? Knowing this will help factor in later on about how much lift you'd need. Essentially determine what your dive weight is while in your exposure suit, and then all the other gears & lead add together would somehow equal this dive weight.

After looking over this board I have also started looking into the BP/W but trying to figure out what wing would be good. Would a 32lb wing still work for the requirement the diveshop want/my dive goals or would I need a 38lb wing and call that good?

At first blush, 40lbs of lift sounds like a lot but then I'm not a Pacific Northwest diver so I don't know how heavy the exposure suits you folks tend to use up thataway. Not to mention how you rig up your gears (type of tank, brand and model of tank, steel plate/aluminum plate, weight integrated, or weight belt/weight suspenders, etc.) will have a major effect on how much lift you'd need. Too many times shops over recommend the amount of lift a diver would need.
I am also leaning torwards a steel backplate. Would using a BP/W lock me into using a weight belt or can the harness be rigged to allow quick release of the weight? Just looking at single cylinder for now.

A BPW can be rigged with integrated weight pockets. Your fear with weight belt is truly unfounded. You made a mistake once, you won't do it again. Also the type of weight belt and belt buckle design/material play into how secure the belt is (assuming that you have a waistline that allows the belt to sit on). If you put lead on your BPW (or any BC), then you'd need bigger lift. If you wear some of the lead then you'd need smaller lift.

Right now I can probably safely say that a 40-lbs wing would be good for you but chances are it's an overkill. You want a wing that is the least amount needed. Calculate your dive weight, calculate your final equipment configuration then calculate for your wing lift plus maybe 10% for safety.

My recommendation for you is to finish your OW, then dive more with the locals before buying a BC. Also go to the Pacific Northwest subforum and talk with those people there. They know what local diving is like.

I don't think very many of us dive a 40 lb wing. Mine, I think, is a 32 pounder, and has been perfectly adequate for all the diving I've done over the seven years. But it will depend on your body habitus, your exposure protection, and how you configure your weights.

The big advantage to the backplate is that the plate itself become part of your ballast. The bulkier BCs can require 3 pounds or more of lead just to sink the BC itself. So you drop 3 lbs, and take another six off your belt or out of your weight pouches, and life just gets easier. Not to mention that having that weight up on your shoulders generally helps your trim.

You can buy weight pockets that thread onto the waistband of your harness -- several manufacturers make them. You can also buy a separate weight harness, like the DUI Weight & Trim (I think a couple of other manufacturers make something similar). That's what my husband uses. Or you can use a weight belt, which is what I do. I like keeping the weights separate from the rig, because it makes it much easier to move around on land, and you also need less lift to float the BC on the surface when you are not wearing it.

It is great that you are already thinking pro-actively, but really recommend that you finish your OW before making any purchase decisions, and perhaps even get some more dives under your belt before determining what will be the right BCD (and specs thereof) for you. IMNSHO, you shouldn't be buying a camera yet either, though perhaps you are already waiting on that. It was hard to tell from your original post whether or not, you would be moving forward quickly on that acquisition too.

IMNSHO, you shouldn't be buying a camera yet either, though perhaps you are already waiting on that. It was hard to tell from your original post whether or not, you would be moving forward quickly on that acquisition too.

I already have a dive case for one of my cameras, plus a gopro and dive case. What I haven't purchased yet is additional lighting. I have taken a fair number of underwater shots for the family and friends. I also have not purchased a dedicated diving camera yet I was planning to hold off on that. I already have a fair number of different cameras that I use.

Also I have been wanting to do scuba diving for about 20 years but have primarily been landlocked during that time and finally feel that I can make scuba diving the commitment it deserves. I have always prefered to own my own equipment over renting, some decisions have cost me and I then went with something else others have been spot on. I also tend to do alot of research before I make my purchase and try to get others opinions before hand.

Wow, you must be skinny as a rail.

Yes I am fairly skinny and 6 foot. I also don't really have a waist so I wind up cinching a weight belt down pretty tight to get it to stay which can get uncomfortable at times.

I'm confused by my reading of your statements. Have you yet been diving in the ocean?

I have always prefered to own my own equipment over renting,

Me too, but unless you have a boatload of money to spend, then just rent or borrow gears for a while until you can make an intelligent decision.
I also tend to do alot of research before I make my purchase and try to get others opinions before hand.

Research before hand is always a great idea, but you still need some practical experience so that you can make an informed decision based on your needs...which you wouldn't really know until you have some practical experience.

Yes I am fairly skinny and 6 foot. I also don't really have a waist so I wind up cinching a weight belt down pretty tight to get it to stay which can get uncomfortable at times.

There's the rubberized weight belt that free divers use. I'm surprised that you don't have one yourself.

I have not been SCUBA diving in the ocean yet, free diving yes.

Very different underwater photographical techniques. Not necessarily in photographic techniques but diving & handling techniques. Newbie scuba UW photographers tend to hold their breaths while focusing/zooming in. Not to mention that though you may be an accomplished free diver, many of the skills don't translate so you'd be very task loaded just scuba-ing alone much less adding photography to the mix. I think that it's worst for free divers because they're so used to freedom of movement and now suddenly it's like somebody chopped their limbs off.

Back
Top Bottom