Attaching cylinders to a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am just getting into tech diving and my knowledge of wings and back plates etc is about near zero as I have only ever used BCD's. I am half way through my tech course but havent seen a twin setup yet. I dont understand how it all goes together. I am trying to rig up twin scuba tanks onto a Andreno T50 wing and aluminium back plate. I prefer a set of woven bands for the cylinders and run them as independants to reduce carry weight when travelling but at this stage dont understand how one attaches twins with woven bands to the wing.

Is the back plate on the inside of the wing? It appears to me that there are many slots in the backplate, some for the harness but the ones I would use to attach the woven bands to the tanks, I have no access to as the wing is in the way. It seems from the pictures I have (dont have the wing sent yet) there are only 2 mounting holes for screws through the wing from the back where the cylinders sit to the backplate. How does one then fix the twin cylinders with cam bands to the back plate? Do I have to buy something else apart from 4 cam bands?

I could use stainless twin cylinder bands but dont want the weight if possible, and also how do the SS bands mount on anyway, are they simply bolted on with a long bolt which has a nut fixing it to the backplate, then two more nuts to space the SS bands out from the wing?

Any information would help me understand how it all goes together.

Which tech course are you taking? In general, I'd advise both against woven bands to secure your tanks and against running them as independent doubles. I'd like to hear more about which instructor you're working with that has given you guidance that either of those are a good idea.

Stainless steel bands attach directly to the backplate via nuts and bolts, which creates a very secure connection that will not allow the tanks to move. The bands also ensure that there is no motion in the tanks connection to each other. That lack of motion is imperative to ensure the integrity of the manifold - which is imperative to ensuring you have access to ALL of your gas supply from EITHER regulator.

In an independent twinset configuration if you lose a first stage or have any downstream issue, you've lost access to all of the gas in that tank. Suboptimal, to say the least.

I am doing the Decompression course/advanced Nitrox and then will do the Extended range. The instructor has recommended manifold and I understand the logic and reasoning and would use this at home where if I set it up thats all I use, however I travel and as you are probably aware, most Pacific dive places (Truk or Coolidge) are not set up for twins as such. They all have single cylinders. This means you either dive with a single and a sling tank (which I did at Truk) or twin independants (which everyone else did at Truk). Not really much of a choice. Thus I am stuck with twin independants as the better option.

When at home I am fine with a manifold and stainless bands (but at this stage dont have much of a use as most dives are 30m or less so I use a single tank and pony. When I get more into deeper diving (and get a dry suit) I will find I am going deeper at home thus go to a permanent setup at home.

So how does one set up woven bands onto a backplate with twins, whats the attachment point.

Last edited:
There is plenty of good reasons to use independent doubles as I did for years. Those who claim that a failure will leave you without sufficient gas to get back don't understand how to correctly use them.
I do have concerns that you are half way through a tech class and have not been walked through the most fundamental aspects of gear configuration. You might want to ask your instructor and if he can't be more help look for another one. Equipment configuration is part of day one of tech class and I would never leave a student to learn these important lessons on the Internet
Safe diving

I believe he is going to take us through this on the next day, however I saw a bargain with a wing and back playe very cheap, and am trying to get all the bits I need and bring it and go through it all with him. However in saying this as I said previously I have used a single 15 litre and slung a 6 litre with a 50% deco tank (as an emergency reserve) under the boat at Truk. Everyone else used twin independants but at the time I didnt pay much attention to them. On coming home I thought it wise to do the TDI course and learn about deep diving rather than just kill myself guessing. In doing the course to date its very apparent that ideally twin manifold is the less risk apporach but to go either twin independants, side mounts or single and sling all have their own benefits (as well as drawbacks).

To give the instructor the benefit of the doubt, he is intending to go through it all but the period between the theory and starting the practice will be some weeks. I am more the issue with trying to set up with gear (while the specials are available) before the next phase. I am also aware I could end up wasting some money potentially by buying things which are wrong or I dont need, hence my hesitation from going further without knowing more other than to buy a wing and back plate with harness.

Why arnt you asking your instructor these basic questions? If you dont know how to attach a back plate to your doubles then you should not be taking AN/DP. That task is covered in intro to tech. Have you considered sidemount opposed to independent doubles?

I would ask him but he is not available and not just around the corner. he lives 2.5 hrs away and due to commitments for us both our next meeting will be in a few weeks time. As I said, I purchased a wing and back plate due to seeing a very good bargain which was only a few days. I had a choice to make so bought it. Had the sale not have been on I would have waited and talked further with him.

I do know that I can use stainless bands which bolt on. I have seen them and understand that, I just asked that question to confirm what I believe. What I dont understand is how woven bands are attached if twins. I understand how I can attach a single with an adapter plate. I won't be using anything until I talk with him and also complete the course, however specials at dive stores dont take any of this into account. If I wait I will be paying up to 4 times more, hence my need to understand and see if they have anything I need on special.

I thought I could come on here and get information from experienced tech divers to assist me, and while I appreciate your good intent on ensuring I dont kill myself, I just want to understand how it goes together so I can make some informed purchases while the pricing is cheap and not have to pay heaps more later. If I buy one or two things I dont need or are wrong it will still be cheaper than waiting until the specials are gone.

If you're convinced that you need independent singles (I'm not) why not just buy stainless bands and attach your independent singles that way? A woven band will not provide as secure of a connection. Having ~40kilos of tank shifting on your back and potentially working out of a nylon strap seems foolish to me. Perhaps I'm just not old school enough for the type of diving looking to accomplish.

Mainly weight. Flying to Pacific islands means keeping weight down. I dont rent anything except tanks and weights all the rest I bring, thus weight becomes a problem. Currently with a BCD and my gear I am right on the limit and have no room for clothes, thus I pay extra for additional luggage. I watched 15 people use independant twins and non had any issues that I saw or heard about. I agree a manifold and SS bands is the best way to go for setting up gear permanently, but not for travelling and not for setting up and stripping down all the time. With the web bands there are 2 per tank and they are cam locked, if done wet should not move. I have done a lot of dives on a single tank with one cam lock band and never ever had a cylinder come loose or move ever. To me, its all about how you set yourself up and the care you take. You can have all the best most expensive gear in the world, but if you dont turn your air on and cant reach it as you jump in with no air in your BCD/wing your expensive gear will not save you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom