Help with BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syfyfan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a Brand new scuba diver, I just got my certification in September. I'm in the market to buy a women's BC but all I can find right now is a men's cut. If you are a woman is it worth it to find a women's BC? Seems to me like the women's cut is more comfortable but I wanted to get some feedback from those who have tried both. My gut is telling me to get a women's cut so I think I'm going to get the store to order one for me but again, just wanted to get some feedback. Thank you!

The best advice I can give you is to try as many different brands, types, and styles that you possibly can. Do not listen to ANYONE about what to buy until you've been able to lay your hands on it and try it for yourself. Fit and comfort is everything in a BC and what works for me may or may to work for you.

Personally, I dive a Zeagle Zena which is basically a corset with a wing, since I hate cummerbunds and wanted a back inflate, it is perfect for me.....but I know people who don't like it. Many here will recommend a back plate and wing (BP/W), which I had fitted and hated...but it's perfect for others. I only use myself as an example of why you need to try for yourself and pick what is best for YOU.

Agree with DiveMaven about trying as many BC as possible before purchasing. I brought and dove a Zeagle Zena for a year after diving many ill fitting rental BCs designed for a man's body. I was perfectly happy with my Zena until I became a SB member and learned about BP/W from SBers.

I dove one and was sold on BP/W (backplate and wing) which worked out well given I wanted to take tech and cave classes. The plastic D-rings and their location on the Zena did not work well for the way I like to dive. I found the BP/W more streamline. The tank more secure and stable on my back in a BP/W. Others will disagree and I respect that but BP/W works for me.

Some shops rent BCs and BP/W so try it on, adjust it to fit you, and take it out for a dive before buying.

Safe dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom