Another 'what should I get' post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll make this short and sweet. I've been diving some old Aeris for around 10 years. I'm looking for a new computer because it doesn't give me a few things I want. Nothing wrong with mine, other than it won't die so I can truly justify replacing it!

Here's my wish list:

1) SIMPLE and easy to use

2) EASY to read...I have mature eyes

3) Automatically turns on when it gets wet. This I must have, mine doesn't. Nuff said?

4) Nitrox capable

5) Safety stop timer. Again, don't have this, want it.

6) Easy to find/push buttons. I can't remember what brand I borrowed from a friend, but the buttons were so tiny I couldn't hardly find them, forget about pushing them

7) I want to be able to customize or just turn off annoying audible alarms

8) Do I need to say price? I don't want all the bells and whistles...I'm even willing to compromise on some of my wish list, so please don't suggest some $1200 computer set up. Don't even suggest a $700 one.

I really don't care about computer interface, or air integration (is that a mistake?)

I could suggest a computer that meets nearly all you requirements with:

A very user friendly and intuitive interface, where you can (literally) figure out all the menus and functions in about 10 minutes without ever opening a manual.

An OLED display that is superb for mature eyes, and can be read from 18" to 15 ft away even with my 48 year old reading glasses dependent eyes.

3) Automatically turns on when it gets wet. This I must have, mine doesn't. Nuff said?

Automatic activation (not based on "wet: but rather "pressure" which is actually better as it won't activate or stay activated in a dive bag and/or if salt crystals bridge the contacts.

4) Nitrox capable

Nitrox mixes from 1% to 100% and up to 5 separate gasses pre-programed and on/off selectable on any dive.

Not per se, but it will display the current gradient factor telling you what advantage (if any) remains in a longer safety stop, or whether one is beneficial at all. That's better than just an arbitrary 3 minute or 5 minute stop timer as it gives you the information to make an informed decision of how long to stop.

6) Easy to find/push buttons. I can't remember what brand I borrowed from a friend, but the buttons were so tiny I couldn't hardly find them, forget about pushing them

Large, easy to find piezo electric buttons that cannot trap sand and won't stick.

What audible alarms?

----

But I won't suggest it as it will cost you about $800. You can't always get what you want at a budget price, so you;ll have to decide what matters most to you and either cut features or

......Automatic activation (not based on "wet: but rather "pressure" which is actually better as it won't activate or stay activated in a dive bag and/or if salt crystals bridge the contacts.
Unless you design your own pressure sensor - or use an old analog pressure sensor ..... - , a real "automatic activation by pressure" is not feasible as it would require the controller to actually be awake in order to read the pressure coming from the sensor.....
A "water sensor" on the other hand is a simple op-amp (even better - a Schmitt Trigger) that generates an interrupt (and wakes up the controller) when the resistance changes.

Personally, I disabled the automatic activation on my dive computer. This forces me to check my dive computer before every dive :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Unless you design your own pressure sensor - or use an old analog pressure sensor ..... - , a real "automatic activation by pressure" is not feasible as it would require the controller to actually be awake in order to read the pressure coming from the sensor.....
A "water sensor" on the other hand is a simple op-amp (even better - a Schmitt Trigger) that generates an interrupt (and wakes up the controller) when the resistance changes.

Personally, I disabled the automatic activation on my dive computer. This forces me to check my dive computer before every dive :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)
Shearwater seems to get it to work pretty well. I've played with it to see how it works, and it works well, coming on at about 30 ft - about the time you think "crap..it's not working".

I agree with you on the lack of need however, as if the dive computer is off, you probably did not check it late enough pre-dive, but in the event a diver does forget, it's nice to have.

The issue I have with auto activation is that it is also normally accompanied with a battery saving feature that turns the computer off after i check it/set it pre-dive, and before I actually splash. That's a PITA and that not so helpful feature more or less necessitates the auto activation feature. I prefer the Shearwater approach where, for the most part it leaves me in charge of turning things on and off, with the pressure activation as a last ditch backup.

I'll make this short and sweet. I've been diving some old Aeris for around 10 years. I'm looking for a new computer because it doesn't give me a few things I want. Nothing wrong with mine, other than it won't die so I can truly justify replacing it!

Here's my wish list:

4) Nitrox capable

8) Do I need to say price? I don't want all the bells and whistles...I'm even willing to compromise on some of my wish list, so please don't suggest some $1200 computer set up. Don't even suggest a $700 one.

I really don't care about computer interface, or air integration (is that a mistake?)

Hows this then?
Uwatec Aladin 2G Wrist Computer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom