Aqualung Seaquest Black Diamond thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_25

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was just certified about a month ago and after a few dives I was hooked! I've been scanning local used ads for deals (renting gear is adding up) and came across the Black Diamond BCD. Wondering if this would be okay for a novice or if I'm in over my head with the BCD? I've never tried a back inflate but not having an inflation squeeze and more torso space seems appealing. Just looking for some experienced opinions! Thanks!

PS. Diving in cold water

You should be fine with a back inflate, I personaly don't like buying off of local add. I would stay with your local dive shop or an authorized online store. We have the Oceanic Excursion II which I feel is a much better back inflate.

Excursion II Link
Oceanic Oceanic Excursion 2 BCD Buoyancy CompensatorsMasks, Fins, BCD's, Regulators, Computers, Flash Lights, Cases, Boxes, Wet Suits, Dry Suits, Log Books, Cameras, Defog, Slap Straps, DPV, Snorkles, Tanks, Cylinders, Watches, Knives, Hats, Stickers

The biggest knock I have on the Black Diamond is that it's quite expensive, but if you are getting a good deal then that removes that problem.

I love mine, being able to access gear in the pockets while inflated at the surface is nice (difficult to stow things like reels with an inflated jacket style BCD). It has plenty of storage space and lots of spots to clip off gear.

I've never had an issue with sitting at the surface, even when I was diving AL80s. I just put more weight in the rear trim pockets. With steel 100s it's not an issue at all.

With any piece of used gear you ideally want to get it checked out by your local dive shop. At a minimum make sure the valves and inflator work and that the bladder doesn't leak or look in bad shape. If it's an order one make sure the velcro on the release pockets is in good shape, otherwise those have a tendency to come loose. There's also a recall on the surelock II pockets that you may need to have addressed.

Very helpful! I emailed the seller and he doesn't think it comes with the weights. I may abort for that reason and also the fact that he "doesn't think"; seller sounds a little unknowledgeable, I just don't want to chance it with such an essential piece of gear. On that note, any recommendations for back inflated BCDs that are cheaper than others but still reliable?

You can buy the weight pockets will be about 60 bucks from Aqualung. Though they are the old surelock 1's. No clipping in the BC more Velcro into the BC. I just recently got one for 200 bucks off eBay and put 100 in parts and service into it and works great. One thing if you do go for it of your LDS is having a hard time finding parts for it tell them to go to Aqualungs Military division as this is who originally manufactured it and still supports it.

I was just certified about a month ago and after a few dives I was hooked! I've been scanning local used ads for deals (renting gear is adding up) and came across the Black Diamond BCD. Wondering if this would be okay for a novice or if I'm in over my head with the BCD? I've never tried a back inflate but not having an inflation squeeze and more torso space seems appealing. Just looking for some experienced opinions! Thanks!

PS. Diving in cold water

I have used a black diamond for years (I am actually on my second one, the old one with got threadbare after 10 years and a couple of hundred dives or so). It is only the fourth BC that I have owned in 25 years, my first was a backmount bc (forerunner of today's BPW). No problem with torso squeeze on black diamond. It is a sturdy, well built bcd. I have used mine all over the world. It too dive lots of cold water up here in AK and find the bcd performs quite well. it can be a bid expensive, but given the durability of it over a range of diving conditions over the years, I would get another one, but probably wont need too because the one I have had is doing fine). One nice thing I like about the bcd is its ability to be disassembled for more compact transportation when i travel to places other than Alaska.

I also hope you enjoy the world of diving as much as I have.

My wife has one and loves it, she has done 100s of dives with it.

Sherwood Scuba makes the Ventura that comes with back inflation & integrated weight, & is very comfortable, very good price point too. We rent them & sell them and everyone loves them.

I bought a used Black Diamond several years ago. I didn't realize it was a small but the price was too good so I bought it anyway. You can expand it quite a bit with the size adjustments. I even expanded it more with cord so it fits with my drysuit. It has 4 large, rugged SS d-rings to hang equipment. I sling a single AL-80 and monkey dive with it. It is almost as good as a backplate and wing. If the price is good I would buy again. Make sure it has the weight pockets. If not, maybe you can get it for a steal and you can use a weight belt or separate weight harness. I use a weight harness to keep the weight with my exposure suit if I have to remove the BC at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom