Underwater Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to get more info on a underwater scooter. I am thinking of something better than a sea doo. Any info will help.

Thanks
These are pretty awesome Halcyon Dive Vehicles | Halcyon

I use a Gavin, which is sort of a predecessor to these, in terms of quality and function, and the people involved in developing them.

Diesel100: You have come to the right place for input on your choice of an U/W vehicle. Jon Nellis provided a great link to a good site.

Here is some information on the U/W's we offer. From 2,000-12,000 dollars, the newest, the AVX, developed for long range and deep exploration
the oldest one a classic and reliable scooter with over 30,000 sold, many still in service.

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Underwater Vehicles

These are pretty awesome Halcyon Dive Vehicles | Halcyon

I use a Gavin, which is sort of a predecessor to these, in terms of quality and function, and the people involved in developing them.
We dive with upgraded Makos (1000 rpm motors, acrylic nose plates, anderson connectors, 21 Ah batteries, ect, etc, so when we test dove the R14 and T16 were were prepared to be wowed. The wow factor was less than expected.

The R14 is under powered, and has power similar to a stock 750 RPM mako on prop pitch 7 - which is to say on the verge of being inadequate in flow with doubles. It's also pretty squirrelly to handle and is not all that comfortable to operate. On the plus side it is small and light and would make a great OW travel scooter, and it's priced in the new Mako range at about $2700.

The T16 was incredibly smooth, very well mannered and precisely trimmed and balanced regardless of depth. However in terms of actual performance it offered nothing over our current (and paid for) 1000 rpm Makos in terms of power or run time, and if anything was a wee bit slower than our modded Makos. So, while it was attractive in terms of handling and trim and depth rating, we could not justify the price (about $4,700 if I recall) and especially when you consider what you can get from other companies in the same $5000 price range.

Now...the Exp suggests Halcyon took our feedback and the feedback of others to heart and have produced a scooter with very attractive speed and run times in what appears to be the same well mannered and very tech tailored and friendly T16 package. That might be worth considering, depending on the price point.

----

There is a more or less recently rebuilt 1000 RPM Mako up on E-bay now for $850 and it's a pretty fair deal. On the other hand, Rich just sold a UV-26 for $1000 and it was a steal (and sold in about 2 hours). UV-18s and UV-26s with near new batteries seem to go anywhere from $1600-2,000, so that makes a good starting point for buying decisions.

If you are looking around the $2500 range Dive Extras always has Sierra's or folks are upgrading and selling their Sierra's on forums. If there is no budget, get one of the Logic Gear scoots. I guess I look at it as the scooter has to be beach friendly which means well under 50 lbs. I would rather have a smaller scooter that needs a battery change between dives, than trying to haul a giant scooter in and out of the water.

Well one thing I do need is to be able to operate it with one hand. I am thinking of a used one to start. I found this one but needs new batteries

Mark VI Farallon DPV, 2 speed with light. These scooters are tested to 500 ft. but not recommended below 400 ft. I have never used this scooter in anything but my neighbors pool. New batteries required are 17 ah gel cells. New Farallon scooter is almost $4k. Asking $500

Well one thing I do need is to be able to operate it with one hand. I am thinking of a used one to start. I found this one but needs new batteries

Mark VI Farallon DPV, 2 speed with light. These scooters are tested to 500 ft. but not recommended below 400 ft. I have never used this scooter in anything but my neighbors pool. New batteries required are 17 ah gel cells. New Farallon scooter is almost $4k. Asking $500

Diesel00: I worked at Farallon in the mid-70's and have lots of hours on the Farallon Scooters. The Mark V1 was the top of the line. Farallon has been out of business for a number of years. The $500.00 price could be a great deal.
DPV Repair, Tekna, Mako, is a good source for information on older model scooters. They do have the batteries, motors, O'rings for the older Farallon models. Good luck in your search.

Diesel00: I worked at Farallon in the mid-70's and have lots of hours on the Farallon Scooters. The Mark V1 was the top of the line. Farallon has been out of business for a number of years. The $500.00 price could be a great deal.
DPV Repair, Tekna, Mako, is a good source for information on older model scooters. They do have the batteries, motors, O'rings for the older Farallon models. Good luck in your search.

MDB,

I have just researched the Farallon Mark VI is is it really almost 5 feet long....

A couple things to think about---do you plan on using it for shore dives? What kind of run time do you want to get out of each battery charge? Do you want one that connects via a crotch strap? do you have a crotch strap? but most importantly what kind of budget do you have.

What I can say is save as much money as you can for one..don't think a $300 scooter is the same as a $5000. ignore the MPH rating on the cheapies--it's a gimic.. you also need to be mindful of having a scooter that can handle the current that is up your way...

Happy to answer any questions..

btw..I have a SS magnus and absolutely love it.. a scooter is like crack.. once you have one you have to keep using it and can't stop...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom