South Ari Atoll Dive resort recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

Looking to go diving on the hope of seeing whale sharks in Feb. I understand that the place that I may get luck is the S. Ari Atoll. Has anyone got any resorts to recommend that have beautiful house reefs nad good dive operations? I've been to Filitheyo twice and loved it, but it's not on the whale shark itinerary :((

Villamendhoo has a very nice and accessible house reef with beautiful walls, also there are good dives sites around, the dive centre is operated by Eurodivers, which in my experience are a good company (dived with them at Eriyadu - Villamendhoo dive centre used to be run by Werner Lau when I was there - and they were good as well).
Here is an article from Diver magazine about Villamendhoo:
Thrusting with the big'uns - Divernet
Whale shark sightings might depend on luck :)

Hi!
I work for the Sub Aqua Dive Center, at CONRAD Maldives Rangali Island, in the South Ari Atoll.
The house reef we have here is beautiful, last time I went I saw a leopard shark and a huge stingray there. The Whale Shark point is just 20 minutes away by speedboat and we organize a snorkeling excursion three times a week. There is a much higher chance of seeing a whaleshark from the surface (maybe 7 out of 10) than underwater (maybe 1 out of 20), and at the speed with which they cruise it is very difficult to keep up with them in scuba gear, so snorkeling is much more practical. But of course we have really good diving too, and Manta Point is just 5 minutes away from the hotel. February is still manta season, we dive at the cleaning station practically every day.
I haven't been or worked in other resorts in the South Ari Atoll, but I can wholeheartedly recommend this resort!

Can agree with acsomos that Conrad Rangali is a fantastic resort... at a price. I also worked there once upon a time. Mirihi is a cheaper option, as is the newly changed resort Lux (formerly Diva, formerly White Sands, formerly Ari Beach). Angaga is another option but mainly German clientel. Sun Island is the closest to Maamigili but personally I don't like it. Too big a machine.

Whale sharks tend to be spotted on a rising tide. They often dive deep at low tide.

For a dive operation, I personally enjoyed working and diving the most at Lux (formerly Diva, formerly White Sands, formerly Ari Beach). The diving is generally fantastic but challenging in terms of depth and current. Good for experienced but beginners may suffer as the groups can be quite large compared to say... Conrad. At the big name resorts, you really do get what you pay for in terms of service and smaller groups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom