back inflation or wing system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PandaPop

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,
i have only been diving a few years, but am currently gaining mre experience for when i am 18 and can do my Dive masters. Currently i have the Aqualung Zuma which i love but it is only a travle BC so i am intending on getting another more rugged one withch i can use in both warm and cold water. I cant decide if i want another back inflaor or a wing. the problem i have is y body shape, im 6ft and a size 10 with an E bust so jacket styles dont fit well. I also intend to go inttodiving as a job so want somethink that will last. Has anyone got any suggestions as what is the best to get on a fairly low budget?

Thanks,
PandaPop

Hi PandaPop,

If you are going into diving as a job you might check around with the various schools about the bcd style that is accepted for teaching purposes. Also if you are planning to use doubles most standard bcds won't cut it.

Anyway, Zeagle and Diverite have modular systems that allow you to custom your bcd to your body shape.

Perhaps Zeagle would be better for teaching as it has bigger pockets.

Cheers,

Simply put, back inflation contributes to good trim while diving, jacket styles contribute to good trim while bobbing on the surface.....as a DM your diving skills must be exemplary, such as trim in the water....very easy to find economic back inflation BCDs....as mentioned, Zeagle, Diverite......even used can be a good deal. BUT, I do favor a BP/W as they can be configured almost any way you want and they fit a very wide variety of body types. Far easier to modify as your diving evolves. There are a few wings that, by design, have adjustable lift and therefore keep streamlined and provide sufficient lift. So, one wing can do cold and warm waters quite well.

BP/W is durable (for at least a couple of hundred years), modular, and won't interfere with anybodies bust.

There may be back inflate models that you would like but I do think that a simple configurable BP&W may be the best way to go. Most harnesses leave "the girls" unencumbered.

For the sake of travel you may opt for an aluminum plate. A 30 pound wing usually works well for singles diving we, dry, warm or cold.

However..... With plans to be a DM there is the possibility that your shop will require you to be in gear like the students or otherwise restrict you to what they offer.

Pete

However..... With plans to be a DM there is the possibility that your shop will require you to be in gear like the students or otherwise restrict you to what they offer.
She can't plan for that. She can plan for multiple possible scenarios by getting the most durable, versatile, generic-ie-economical, boob-friendly, non-outgrowable system there is.

She can't plan for that. She can plan for multiple possible scenarios by getting the most durable, versatile, generic-ie-economical, boob-friendly, non-outgrowable system there is.

She'd be a fool not to make sure it will be allowed. There are multiple paths to safe proficient diving. The implication was not to rule out a PB&W based on what-if . I suspect she has a shop in mind and she should make herself aware of the policy.

Pete

I have owned back inflates (Scuba pro Knight hawk, and Mares Icon) both were good, and I enjoyed diving them.
I switched to a BP/W when I decided to move into doubles and the training that went with that.

I am very happy with the BP/W.

I am considering starting DM training next year, and if my shop requires me to dive in something other than a BP/W ring, then I will. It makes no difference to me.

At that point, I would get another Knight hawk, or if I had to choose from the Aqualung brand, I would get an Apex Black Ice.

As for your unique fitting requirements, it's hard to say which harness system would be most comfortable.
I wouldn't automatically assume that a plain webbing harness would provide the best fit, because it may not.

The Knight hawk harness has hinge points at the bottom of the padded section that might make for a better fit in your case. It would be worth trying any brand of back inflate on just to see if that harness style would work.

Honestly...there are more similarities than difference between the brands. So if one harness fits well, then most of the others will also. They all use a similar harness (talking about back inflates) Padded shoulder straps, a hinge at the bottom of that, and a sternum strap.

Considering your goals...it is worth asking your shop about what they prefer you use.

-Mitch

I'm a recent convert to a backplate and love it. Yet I'd say get what you need now. If your Zuma works use it. There may be requirements for training and you can upgrade then. If you end up working for a shop it is likely they will require the brands they sell. They also give steep discounts for the pros. So hold off on getting all the extra gadgets till you need them.

Depends on the shop, some shops don't care what the DM or instructors wear.

Also, depends on how you do your DM job: work as an assistance to an instructor with a shop or work as a DM on a boat. I have yet to see a boat charter makes a DM use a specific BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom