ScubaPro Knighthawk Fit / Ride Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My backup BCD is a large SP Knighthawk (my main is a Tusa Platina Evolution jacket-style) and I was reminded the other day why it is my backup and not my primary. When I put it on, the BC always slides backwards and downwards. When I initially put it on, the cummerbund is covering my belly button and the weight pockets are at my lower rib cage. The chest strap is across the chest plate about nipple level. The tank valve is just behind my head and the tank bottom is about butt-high (I like to have my tank ride high).

However, after I let the tank's weight settle backward the whole BC shifts 4 to 8 inches. The weight pockets straddle my mid-rib cage, the chest strap is just below my neck, the tank is sagging well below my butt. There's no way anyone can find this comfortable.

I don't remember having these problems with any other BC. But I've tried medium, large and x-large versions of the Knighthawk and they all do the same thing.

Has anyone else had this experience w. the Knighthawk and if so, what if anything did you do differently to prevent this from happening?

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has had this problem and at the same time I can't imagine people putting up with their BC in this position for very long.

I've never heard of anything like that. I have the SP Seahawk, which is a lot like the Knighthawk, and it fits great. I also have the SP Classic Plus jacket style and it fits great as well. It sounds like the one you have is too large for you.

Has anyone else had this experience w. the Knighthawk and if so, what if anything did you do differently to prevent this from happening?

I can't imagine I'm the only one who has had this problem and at the same time I can't imagine people putting up with their BC in this position for very long.
I made it 25 dives in the Knight Hawk. Then switched to a BP/W and would never go back. Mine rode up around my ears at the surface. My BP/W never does that since it has a crotch strap. I also found the Knight Hawk flopped on my back and I had to quickly flip it back into place. Again I have never had that problem with my BP/W.

I love my KnightHawk, and have had at least 400 dives with it, but lately it's been bothering my, a small velcro strap on the back plate that connects harness to the plate has broken off on the back, thus making the tank floating up during my dive, I did not notice this until another instructor pointed it out, otherwise it has been a durable BCD, and has stood the test of time, except lately the zippers on the weight pockets have begun to break off.

^ I can not remember what the warranty on the Knight Hawk is, but it might be worth investigating.

Maybe you can get a new one, sell it, then get a cheaper BP/W setup :wink:

Your chief concern should be how it fits in the water. I doubt the sagging you describe would be an issue underwater if you were oriented horizontally. That said, if this is bothering you, you would probably appreciate the more precise fit of a backplate and wing.

If your knightHawk fits properly, you would not have that problem.

Frankly, I find it more comfortable both in & out of the water than a backplate/wing.

Do you have the waist strap snug?

I bought a used nighthawk about a 1 1/2 years ago / 180 dives ago. It works great for me, only thing is I need a size large not a XL. The straps are as tight as they can go and its just a tiny loose.

If your knightHawk fits properly, you would not have that problem.

Frankly, I find it more comfortable both in & out of the water than a backplate/wing.

Do you have the waist strap snug?
I'm not surprised. ScubaPro doesn't offer a backplate/wing, do they?

I'm not surprised. ScubaPro doesn't offer a backplate/wing, do they?
Sure they do...

ScubaProX-TEKPURETEKSYSTEM.jpg

Even Scubapro knows there is a market for BP/W's, and it is growing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom