BC service question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing wrong with having it serviced by a qualified technician. Although, bcds are quite simple and if you are comfortable with it, a thorough self service is easy.

With good user care, technician servicing may never be needed. The bladder should be drained and rinsed with FW occasionally. The inflator needs to be flushed with FW after each SW dive trip. Mine only gets more serious service when a problem (leak) occurs.

To the above I would add occasionally removing, cleaning, and re-lubing the OPV. Rebuilding the inflator every year, especially if it's seeing salt water, seems prudent.

After every trip, I unscrew the OPV's, fill the BC's with fresh water, let them soak over night, drain and dry. No other actions required for at least 5 - 10 years or until the fabric delamilates.

If you are doing a good rinse after every dive day there should be no need for scheduled professional service.

Keep an eye on things for worn pull dump strings and an wear and tear. The inflater valve will probably need attention every 100 dives or so. This little tool lets you get in there to clean and lube at the first sign of sluggishness or sooner.

Personally, I do not take any pull dump valves apart for routine service. Faithful rinsing has always kept them in good order and there are too many stories of mis-assembly, lost parts or even jumping in without reinstalling a valve.

Pete

I'll confess . . . I don't service my inflators until they begin to leak. Most of the time, it's a leak out around the inflator button, but once in a while, it's a slow leak into the wing. You can only rebuild the inflators a few times -- they're made of very soft brass, and you will eventually score it enough so the o-rings won't seal. But if you are using a standard wing, the replacements units from Trident are only about $35 or $40.

On sale! Put one in your save-a-dive and service the fussy one at your convenience

You can only rebuild the inflators a few times -- they're made of very soft brass, and you will eventually score it enough so the o-rings won't seal.

Hey, some of us love our old H SS inflators and will rebuild them forever :wink:

Hey, some of us love our old H SS inflators and will rebuild them forever :wink:

Or at least until the button comes shooting out during a dive and causing you to soil your drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom