Rain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Every year I post this...

With the passing of the seasons first good rain event it is appropriate to remind everyone to think about the hazards that could be encountered during a dive.
Early runoff from streets and storm drains will carry oils, pesticides and other contaminates into the creeks, rivers terminating in the ocean.

As the rainy season becomes mature agricultural runoff, fecal material and high levels of bacterial contamination can be expected.

If you MUST dive it is suggested:

A week be allowed after the OK for ocean to purge it's self of near shore and off shore contaminates

Avoid diving in the near shore waters near the creeks and streams emptying into the ocean

After a questionable dive always wash with soap and water as soon as possible

Immediately rise the inner ear canal with appropriate anti- bacterial solution

Make a concerted effort not to ingest any water you have been diving in or have made contact.

Routinely check any cuts and scrapes for redness and swelling that may indicate infection. If persists suggest seeking medical assistance.

Monitor long term coughs and irritated throats which are often a result of contaminated water diving.

Awesome flotSam. This might cost me a huge ScubaBoard following, but I know this is the "conditioned norm" preached by numerous agencies like conservation, medical, legal, governmental and for some time now "fear inducers of the new age bubble living." Sam I realize you might have a general student crowd that you're required to pre-warn of such infective qualities of exposure, from our pristine ocean resouce, which I completely understand. I can't speak for anyone that I don't know, but to give an analysis of personal concentrated repeated exposure, never one time after swimming/diving in or immediately after initial rains and run-off has there been any ill effects. Strange, but the ingestion warning you give also has not had any problems at all by me or friends. Now I don't make a habbit of drinking as much sea water as possible but like in lakes that "hikers" would filter, I ingest quite a bit with no problems.

So, with not much response on this post there may not be a huge opposition by my feeble and weak reply, and I respect your personal experiences big time!!! The power of confidence is everything. If I worried about this exposure to the degree of all the suggestions above, I'd more than likely "talk myself into infection." I'm glad I don't. There's too much to experience even in those times of "advisories and warnings" to miss. Such as a marinelife frenzie, that is awesome to see! And once again there's no way I'm some super duper dude. Just someone who doesn't let the belief system kick my butt!

Back
Top Bottom