My sidemount rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chironomidkraut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hope the pics turn out good, what u guys think! This is the first crack at it, gotta add weights to the back and a couple on the shoulders!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 533
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 419
Looking really nice! Is that UTD Delta wing? I have the Z-plus wing and its looking great. I have been trying to decide if I want to put my Dive Rite Tech buttplate (like yours - hows it working? Is it secure enough being just attached by the crotch strap threading?) or keep things minimal and put this in its place - Deep Sea Supply Sidemount Tail Plate - Northeast Scuba Supply

For me, I would have to really work at attaching the tank bolt snap to a simple attachment like that, shoulders and arms would really have to reach!
This way I can't miss and it's well in my reach, the butt plate is held on by two loops that attach to the waste strap and then it goes through another loop on the crotch strap so ya pretty secure!
I would love to dive it but its winter where I live and the dive shop close by says I can't even try it out in their pool sessions cause I didn't buy the wing from them!
One thing I am stuck on is which bungee setup to go with, Ed's old school bungee setup or something like the ring bungee setup from dive rite, any suggestions

Nice work. I started with a continuous bungee, but I've found that the "old school" bungee is far more comfortable. It's easy enough (and cheap) to make, rig it up and see if you like it. If not, you can switch to something like the ring bungees.

I totally can understand that. I may just take my Tech buttplate off my Nomad and slap it onto my Z-system later today then.

After getting my z system, it had a simple bungee attached on each side to secure the valves of the tanks. I did one dive in open water and knew that this was not for me. I replaced both bungees with the Dive Rite ring bungee system, and also the next dive the tanks felt "closer" to my body. I also have the Dive Rite choker system on the neck of my primary sidemount tanks, which may help a lot in keeping the tanks streamlined to my body. I have heard good things about Ed's bungee system also though.

The ring bungee system - http://i.imgur.com/vz2SS.jpg

Neck choker - http://i.imgur.com/50byQ.jpg

I am a cold water diver so I think the dive rite(choker and ring bungee) setup might be a little challenging to put on with thick gloves on!

Looking really nice! Is that UTD Delta wing? I have the Z-plus wing and its looking great. I have been trying to decide if I want to put my Dive Rite Tech buttplate (like yours - hows it working? Is it secure enough being just attached by the crotch strap threading?) or keep things minimal and put this in its place - Deep Sea Supply Sidemount Tail Plate - Northeast Scuba Supply

I use basically the same thing on my Manta rig, and a buttplate on my UTD setup. Both work just fine for me. I have no complaints with either.

As for bungees, I have tried the one piece, ring style, and loops. My favorite being the loops, with the one piece being one I disliked. The rings were nice, but I could not get the tanks to trim as nicely as I wanted them. Then loops made this possible.

It's looking good, did you get a few dives in this year on it? I'm taking my Z harness down to Mexico next month with the z trim and wife will be using the delta. Let me know how the butt plate works, being 6'3" I'm wondering if it might improve my already outstanding trim.....

I've used the single bungee and the bungee with clip ( homemade) and I'm not a fan of the chokers, just don't seem to work for me (cold water, dry gloves), the bungee w/ clip is versatile but I like simplicity if it works and you can't get simpler that a piece of bungee.

that's the Manta wing, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences JamesK. By Loop bungees, do you mean SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Nomad Loop Bungees these? These are the ones I use, but I still attach to the ring, rather then slip bungee over valve, although the info for that product says you can. I guess its just the distance between the link attachment point\dring clip and my body build that keeps my AL80s perfectly alongside me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom