Trying to make some decisions about some old equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBH20Man

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
As I posted in another thread about a Beuchat computer, I have a bunch of old gear that I'm trying to assemble into a single rig that I can use as a back-up or for guests on the boat. As I am not very familiar with all the various gear on the market today, I'm hoping some folks can offer some advice as to which of these pieces of kit are worth spending the money to service and keep versus just throw in the parts bin.

Which of these pieces is worth spending the time/money to service and use? Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Brent

Here we go...

Old Tekna console with bottom/Surface timer (dead battery)
null-20.jpg

Oceanic Alpha second stage
null-19.jpg

US Divers Conshelf SE2 second
null-18.jpg

Oceanic 1st stage (probably from the late 80's or early 90's)
null-17.jpg

US Divers first stage (also probably from the late 80's)
null-16.jpg

Another US Divers first and SEA4 second stage with Oceanic Prodigy computer/console (DIN/Yoke switchable)
null-9.jpg

The Tekna first is similar to a Scubapro MK-5, nothing at all wrong with it as a primary reg. The 2 ALs are a Conshelf and a SEA. The internals of both are the same, rock solid regs that will hold their own with any first stage on the market today....actually they will likely outlast them. The AL second stages are common simple design, nothing fancy but again solid design.

If I were going to make one reg out of the lot, it would be the SEA second as a primary, the Conshelf second as the octo and the Oceanic console. The only decision would be which first to keep. I prefer diaphgram first stages so that leaves out the Tekna, plus Tekna parts are harder to find. Between the 2 AL first, it really comes down to preference of hose lay out. The internal of both regs are the same and easy to find parts for which is another plus. The Conshelf is a little lighter but the SEA is a little easier to field service which is the reason I use one as a travel reg. That combo will give you a reg that will go years with little to no attention as long as you don't abuse it and is capable of any dive you would care to do.

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer! So it pretty much sounds like it is all worth investing in a rebuild to keep as backups/spares.

A couple of clarifications: the only Tekna part is the console. Two of the first stages have knobs saying US Divers (that is the only identifying mark) the third has a knob that says "Oceanic". I'm not sure what the acronym "AL" means (?).

I also forgot to mention that included in this pile is an Oceanic "slim" octo and a Tusa Duo Air that I was planning to add to my main rig to get rid of my octo (another Oceanic "slim").

-Brent
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, missed it was an Oceanic, a little easier to get parts for but still the info does not change much. I really don't like those small octos, ok I guess for a light travel reg but otherwise I much prefer a "real" second stage. If for no other reason that if you have to use it is a OOA with someone that is on the verge of panic a more better octo is not a bad thing to have.

AL = Aqualung,

Oceanic or Tekna, it's a Scubapro Mk 5 clone. The Tekna used a thicker high pressure seat that's damned hard to find now. Since it's an Oceanic however the seat is a non problem.

That was the same console that I had in 1985. It was top of the line then and a uses a design that gives much greater accuracy and resolution on the depth gauge. They are plastic cased instruments, so they'll need to stay in a console, but they are at least as good as any analog gauges made today in terms of performance.

The Tekna bottom timer was cutting edge in 1980-85, but like your Parkway bottom timer it also uses a non user replaceable battery. I had some luck cutting the case on mine and replacing the battery (which I believe a standard watch battery) and then sealing/filling the hole with epoxy, but it's a one time replacement technique.

The Oceanic Prodigy should take a pair of 2032 batteries and will be good to go.

The Conshelf and SEA first stages are fine and parts are still readily available for annual service. I like the Mk 5 and clones better, but you'd be mixing brands if you used it.

I agree with Herman on the second stages, and with that in mind I'd go with the Conshelf or SEA over the Oceanic first stage just to make servicing simpler, but after that I prefer the Conshelf to the SEA.

As much as I liked the Tekna console back in the day it's really dated technology and I'd also go with the Oceanic console as you've got a simple but long lived computer, an SPG and a decent compass in a fairly compact and more or less modern console design.

The Tusa Duo Air is a licensed built version of the Scubapro Air 2 3rd generation. Tabata has manufactured several designs for Scubapro (including the Mk 5) and apparently as part of the manufacturing arrangement Tabata sold a cosmetically altered version under their own scuba company banner in the US. TUSA = Tabata USA. Internally it is identical to the Air 2.

There's nothing wrong with using it on a recreational BC, just practice with it in an OOA situation adjusting buoyancy on ascent, etc and understand that you then donate your primary to the OOA diver, not the Duo Air.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm also trying to decide whether to put an old Zeagle back in service. Its the one pictured on the right. The bladder seems to still hold air, but the inflator valve was leaking so I replaced it with a brand new Scuba Pro unit I had laying around. Wondering if there is anything else I should "service" on the BC before using it (do the QR cables for the weight dump need to be serviced?) Its been sitting in a box in the garage for 20 years, but honestly it was so comfortable, I'd probably prefer it over the brand new ScubaPro "Pro Classic" BCD pictured on the left...

BCs.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom