Vet's Park Big Group Clean Up Dive #2: NOV 21, 7PM.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl

Contributor
Reaction score
Underwater SoCal. There's no place I'd rather be
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Come on out to help clean up the next section of Veteran's Park!
Wednesday Nov. 21st, 7PM.
Top Parking Lot.

Last week's clean up dive was wildly successful, with 31 divers, full shore support, and 59 pounds of trash removed from the area directly in front of the main stairs.

Surveys of the site the next day showed a dramatically cleaner substrate where the teams cleaned up.

Next Spot Designated for Operation Hand Picked: The Salad Bowl, directly in front of the Middle Stairs.

The trash is concentrated along the contour lines between 35 and 70fsw, so pick a depth you're comfortable with and GRAB THAT TRASH!

These shorter stairs are midway between the Pier and the Big Stairs.

It's a short walk from the top parking lot which is where we'll gather for sign-ins., planning, and trash weigh-in as the teams come out of the water.

And, of course, there will be good cheer and cheery beverages afterwards!

Here's all the info:
(From Roc Allen, diving instructor and Vet's Park Diving Fan.)
As you may know, sediment clogging the entrance to Marina del Rey's main channel was scooped up, shipped south and piped onto Redondo Beach, where it will help extend a narrowed section of beach shoreline.

This was a part of the Redondo Beach Renourishment Project that began back in July 2012 and ended during the early part of October 2012.
Starting Thursday, August 9, 2012, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' multimillion-dollar dredging operation will shift gears. Sediment unearthed by the 2,095-ton Paula Lee dredge will either be dropped off the coast of Redondo Beach or pumped onto a swath of sand south of the pier."

During and since its completion, enormous amounts of debris and trash have covered the ocean's substrate at the Vet's Park Redondo Beach dive site.

It is not clear if the trash was brought to Redondo via the dredging project or unearthed due to the movement of the barge.

Either way, the result is still the same: we have massive amounts of trash that is polluting the area and drifting throughout Southern California waters.

What can we do about it?

We can come together, as committed divers and fellow citizens, with non-divers alike for a common good, a common goal, a purpose that serves the community by removing the trash.

What is needed?

1, Most importantly, you and your fellow dive mates with certification

2. Experienced night divers

3. Mesh hoop lobster bags preferred and/or small to medium sized mesh bags

4. Primary lights, back up lights/dive lights designed for night diving

5. Gloves (should be durable or padded to resist puncture from sharp objects)

Where?
Redondo Beach Vet's Park (Upper lot)
309 Esplanade
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

When?
Wednesday November 21, 2012
Time: 7pm

*For those of you who may not be comfortable with night diving, we will have continued efforts during the day in the near future. Please come down to show support and get involved this Wednesday even if you will not be diving.

See you there!

--

Roc

Program Developer - Swimming/Scuba Instructor

Self Discovery Through Scuba Diving
Snorkeling & Scuba for Kids
310-867 0323
sdtdiving@gmail.com
LA County Scuba

Hope to see you at Vets on Wednesday!

~~~~

Claudette

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
--Albert Einstein

Will be there. I'll also (hopefully) have my new Intova Sport HD vid camera mounted somewhere out of the way to record...whatever happens.

Last week it appears we put in a sizable dent on the trash. If we can keep up the momentum, we should have the part of our park back we usually dive in good shape quickly. If you dive this park, and didn't make it out last week, please consider making it this time. It's a good way to give back to the environment that has given us so much.

Hope to see you there!

Come on out to help clean up the next section of Veteran's Park!
Wednesday Nov. 21st, 7PM.
Top Parking Lot.

Perfect timing as I'm going to speak at the Army Corps of Engineers Contaminated Sediment Task Force meeting next Wednesday morning (11/28). They're aware of the problem and one of the NOAA guys, will do a presetnation on the problem. One thing I want to do is bring them samples of the trash picked up so they know we're not just blowing smoke. I will bring a box of Ziploc Baggies so selected trash can be pulled for their dining and dancing enjoyment.

The other thing I will plan on doing Wednesday evening is to play documentarian. I will have a video camera with me and will shoot divers in and out of the water, trash coming up, etc. I'll also want to "interview" a couple of people on-camera so you can explain why this is important to you and what you've seen underwater. I can then edit all that down into a 3-5 minute video that I can use at the meeting the following Wednesday.

I'll also bring my laptop with me so that anyone shooting anything UW Wednesday (I've also got some stuff I've previously shot) who wants to let me use their footage as b-roll, we can just off-load your card right onto my computer.

NOTE TO ROC: Got your message and returned your call but your message box is full. I'm in all day today at 310/652-4990. Please give me a call.
(And clean out your VM box.) :D

Thanks to all!!!

- Ken

Last edited:
A few photos from last night. Much respect to the organizers and everyone who participated!

8209291430_76357cd46a.jpg

8208199769_db83fc14db.jpg

8208199497_3c2073f5a4.jpg

Thanks, 2ndJetty!

That is exactly what it looks like down there.
It's hard to imagine if you're on shore, looking out over a "clean" blue sea.
As Mo2vation mentioned at last week's clean-up, "This trash is so different from what was there before. This trash is partly buried under 2 to 3 inches of sediment and isn't going anywhere until someone picks it up."

I heard about many divers doing clean up dives this weekend, too, so the inspiration just keeps going!!!

Thank you so much to everyone who's dedicating dive time to help our dive site recover!!!

Come on down and join the next group clean up on Wednesday November 28th, 7PM, if you can.
We'll post the details later tonight or tomorrow.
Divers and shore-support volunteers eagerly welcomed!!

I'm hoping to hear that night from Roc or Ken Kurtis, or someone who will have attended the Contaminated Sediment committee meeting that morning.

See you Wednesday!

~~~~~
Claudette

--Albert Einstein

Anyone get a look at the salad bowl post-cleanup? Any ideas for a target area for the next one? I got my Wednesdays mixed up. I'll be there this Wednesday.

Roc and I had a good asynchronous email conversation ;-) and will plan for a second dive at "The Salad Bowl" for Wednesday November 28, 2012.

7pm meet time.

Entering the water nearest the middle steps, half-way between the main steps and the Redondo Pier.

Even the last divers out of the water last Wednesday agreed that there was still lots of trash remaining in this area.

We'll post a new planning thread with November 28th in the title line.

See you Wednesday!

~~~~~
Claudette

--Albert Einstein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom