Name some decent open water sites in cave country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akoni

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all, I'm looking for some decent open water sites in cave country. I'm hoping to get my gf more comfortable in the water as she is fairly inexperienced and has been away from diving for a bit but she doesn't want to deal with boats yet as she's a little prone to getting seasick lately. We'll be in the area poking around (and I'll get some cave dives in) but I want to do some dives with her also. We'll obviously hit Ginnie and Blue Grotto but I'm at a loss for other places that are open to OW and worth seeing. Anything up towards Marianna that would fit the bill? TIA

Good call, forgot that Troy is OW only. Maybe Orange Grove if it's still open to OW divers, although conditions in the sink were crap when I was last there a couple months back.

---------- Post added November 21st, 2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Check out www.caveatlas.com It lists all the sites in the area and if they allow ow diving.

Thanks!

Orange grove has cleared up in the basin a lot.

You might want to check out Crystal River. Might be some manatees to look at.

Orange Grove looks good right now. Troy also. How far you willing to drive? What's the one just over the bridge near Steamboat? Is that Royal? I can't remember.

We'll be all over but probably start up around Marianna as she wants to visit Fl Caverns SP first.

Here is the outline of the trip I'm planning to make with my son for spring break, might help with ideas.

Day 1 - Wes Skiles Peacock Springs - Orange Grove, Troy Springs, Ichetucknee Springs (snorkeling or tubing)

Day 2 - Ginnie Springs

Day 3 - Devil's Den, Manatee Springs + Catfish Hotel, Fanning Springs (Snorkeling, and not sure on this one yet)

Day 4 - Paradise Springs, Rainbow River drift dive

Day 5 - Alexander Springs, Silver Glen Springs (snorkeling)

Day 6 - Blue Spring State Park (towards the east), Kelly Park - Rock Springs (snorkeling), Wekiva Springs (snorkeling)

Any food and lodging recommendations on any of those legs are appreciated.

Been to all of those places. Some are more fun than others. Paradise kinda sucks. It'd be ok if it were 6 bucks to get in, but depending on how many people are there, it's a real craphole. Alexander is cheap and easy. Blue Springs is definitely neat and worth seeing once. It's a long walk to the hole, be prepared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom