Console vs Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It would seem that having a computer on a console vs the wrist is a decision of personal preference. I'm just wondering if there is/are other considerations which make one mode more advantageous than the other. For example, ease of use during times of multiple tasking, etc. Thanks.

Here are a couple of factors to consider:

1. If you end up diving with a different regulator set for any reason, you won't have the computer if it is on a console.

2. On your wrist it is really easy to see at a glance.

3. Unless the console has a quick disconnect, if you are on a trip and leaving your dive gear with the operator, it will be inconvenient to take the computer back to your room.

I used to have everything, including the compass, on a console. Now I have everything but the SPG on my wrist. That's my preference, but it is really up to you.

It would seem that having a computer on a console vs the wrist is a decision of personal preference. I'm just wondering if there is/are other considerations which make one mode more advantageous than the other. For example, ease of use during times of multiple tasking, etc. Thanks.

O.k., let's say you are deploying a SMB @ a safety stop and need to monitor your depth and time while using both hands to deploy the SMB.........What do you do?

I have mine on my wrist and have gotten used to the routine of storing my compass and computer on a double-ender attached to my harness between dives. My wife/buddy gave the wrist computer a try but decided she would rather have it in a console where she does not have to worry about donning and doffing each dive. Either one can work.

O.k., let's say you are deploying a SMB @ a safety stop and need to monitor your depth and time while using both hands to deploy the SMB.........What do you do?

I've switched from a Cobalt to a Petrel for various reasons, but your scenario is not among the reasons one needs to elect wrist mount over console.

I dove my Cobalt clipped off on my right shoulder, such that a glance down gave me all the information I needed. Having deployed my SMB many times with the Cobalt I can say not only was it at least as easy as a wrist mount, in some ways it was easier since the arms may be moving around during the deployment, while the console on my chest never did.

This is a new diver with fewer than 24 dives. The odds of this being a real factor for him in the near future are pretty remote.

Its all personal preference...

For me, I really like an air integrated computer. There are many companies who make wireless integrated kits which are sweet. The nice thing about an air integrated computer is the air reminders, the thing beeps at you based on preset pressures. I prefer a wrist computer by a fair margin, they're super small now a days and display a lot of info. Of course whenever your using an air integrated computer, you always need a standard SPG as a backup. This is why a wireless vs wired kit isn't a big deal, might as well go wireless and when the transmitter battery dies, at least you've got a backup.

When I teach, I use a standard triple console on both my gear and the students gear. This way, students are familiarized with the basic gear and its super nice to have it. So the other way to go is just a simple depth/time data logger, they are cheap and are put right on the wrist. I also use to wear my hyperaqualand watch when diving as well, it was yet another gauge. Sadly the battery died and it costs more to replace the battery then it does to buy a new watch! EEK! :(

Pros of wrist gauges:

You can form a "dashboard" if you keep your hands out in front of you, and have depth, time and direction at a glance all the time.
You can easily take your gauges to your lodging, or into your house for downloading.
You will have your gauges if you have to rent or borrow a reg.
You don't have to have such a long HP hose on your reg, so you don't have a big loop of hose sticking out, and you don't have to figure out how to secure the console.

Cons

You can lose them or forget them more easily.
They can catch on your BC straps as you get in and out of your gear.
Unless the gauges are amenable to bungie mounts, you have to fuss with straps with one hand.

My personal choice is wrist gauges, hands down. But I do recognize the downsides.

The nice thing about an air integrated computer is the air reminders, the thing beeps at you based on preset pressures.

For the record, some of those around you will be annoyed if they have to listen to the thing beep at you. The rest of us will strongly consider making you part of a brand new artificial reef if we have to listen to it.

Of course whenever your using an air integrated computer, you always need a standard SPG as a backup.

That's hardly a foregone conclusion, and there have been plenty of threads addressing that specific issue. Suffice to say that knowing how many PSI you have left doesn't change the PSI you have left. My take on it is throw the standard SPG in your bag along with the requisite tools if you must, so you can swap between dives. Otherwise, get over it or stop diving AI. There isn't a shred of evidence that one is inherently more reliable than the other, and you don't see anyone saying 'Of course, whenever you're using one standard SPG, you must have another standard SPG as a backup."

This is a new diver with fewer than 24 dives. The odds of this being a real factor for him in the near future are pretty remote.

I answered the question ostensively and succinctly.

Back
Top Bottom