Monsoon winds changing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're coming next week to the Maldives. Has the season started changing or is it still Summer season? Not that it really matters, because we're coming one way or another. Thanks.
Ps, Any thoughts on visibility now? Friends who were there in September were disappointed. Again , who cares, coming any way and I spend my summer teaching in a quarry with 5-10 foot visibility.

Rob

Just came back from Maldives a week ago - Monsoon winds had apparently started shifting which made the planning of certain dives a bit challenging for the crew. Weather was gorgeous though :)

Very nice weather here at the moment and has been for the last week. Sept and Oct are the worst months to come due to the weather. December gets a bit crackly as temps start to heat up causing unstable weather conditions. Xmas and NY's are a 5* resort manager's worst nightmares as they are throwing tens of thousands of $$ on fireworks/ spectacles etc and the weather can be pretty iffy from hour to hour.

Iruvai Monsoon season 'officially' start Dec 10 I think. The wind is swinging from SW to NW at the moment. Eventually it'll go more NW and N and then finally NE.

Have fun!

Thanks all. Still trying to pack too much equipment into bags that must weigh less. I'm thinking about using my winter coat pockets (starting trip from Chicago) to hold 10 lbs of stuff. My wife has been chanting whale shark for the past week, so, if we see one, the trip is a total success. I'll post a trip report after we get back.

Rob

Oh, no, Rob! If she chants whale shark we'll never see one! Her magic word is bullsh*t! It worked for the hammerheads in San Salvador. ��
Deborah

Thanks for reminding me, Deborah. I'll tell her. See you at JFK tomorrow night.

Rob

Got back yesterday from Maldives. Was on the Carpe Vita (great boat and crew). Dove North and South Male, and North and South Ari. Weather was almost perfect. Wore just a rash guard. Visibility varied greatly between dives sites but generally pretty good. Three whale sharks at South Ari and between 5-7 mantas on each of two different dives. Gray reef, nurse, white tip and black tip sharks too numerous to count. Best octopus and turtle dives I've ever done. Neither the octupuses nor the turtles were afraid of divers.

Leaving for the airport in 2 hours. Thanks, gwklein, your post adds to my already off the charts excitement.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom