Question about VT4.1. Oceanic Rip off or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeU

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a VT4.1 dive computer from a reputable Oceanic dealer, when it arrived the box said VT4.1 but the plastic case and computer said VT 4.0
, I called the Co I bought it from and they told me that is what Oceanic sent them. So I figured the computer was a VT4.0 with the new firmware except when I turned it on it says VT4.0 and the in the menu it says the firmware is 2b/ lcd 03, so did I get a VT4.0 or a VT4.1, I paid for a VT4.1. Also it still has the software to read multiple transmitters 1-4. Kind of feel like Oceanic ripped me off. Do I send it back or what.

Thanks,
Lee

What you don't know is that the 4.0 has more "features" than the 4.1. Be happy, enjoy, and safe diving.

Thanks, I was counting on the rebate going on, if Oceanic honers that I'm good. What other features other than the buddy system? Thanks for the reply
LeeU

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 08:23 PM ----------

What you don't know is that the 4.0 has more "features" than the 4.1. Be happy, enjoy, and safe diving.

Were at in Va or you from, I grew up in Troutville near Roanoke before the Airforce took me.
LeeU

---------- Post added November 24th, 2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

I guess that if you have a VT4 with a serial no less than 5000 it is VT4.0, with a serial 5001 and above it is a VT4.1 regardless of what is on the face of the computer as they all say VT 4.0. S
orry for the post, but I paid a lot of money for the computer and did not want an old version.
LeeU

I'd blame that on the company you purchased it from not the manufacturer. If what you ordered is the VT4.1 and you got a VT4 I'd have them swap it out or contact your local BBB and make a bait & switch complaint. I agree that I'd rather have the VT4 over the VT4.1 because of the extra feature but only if they honor the rebate.

I dive the 4.0 and my wife dives the 4.1. I prefer the 4.0 because the buddy check feature allows me to keep an eye on her air. I think that is the only difference between the two computers.

Just a follow up, if you have a VT 4.0 with a serial from 1-5000 it is a VT 4.0, 5001 and above it is a 4.1. I have the VT4.1, It was just confusing with the 4.0 logo. Dove it 5 dives last weekend, it is killer, I love the VT 4.1. and you can get the rebate on both of them,
LeeU

I dive the 4.0 and my wife dives the 4.1. I prefer the 4.0 because the buddy check feature allows me to keep an eye on her air.

Does this really work? I've talked to a few divers that have tried to use it and they all say the same thing. "For it to work, my buddy has to be so close I could just read his gauge anyway. So no, it's useless."

I'm pretty sure this is why Oceanic abandoned it.

-Charles

Hi guys I am in the market for my first dive computer and the V4.1 was in my list. I liked the easy to read dispay and features, but the reviews I have seen regarding the oceanlog software really gets a bad wrap. But most of these appear to be old and can't find any recent reviews to see if there have been improvements? I was wondering on your thoughts? And if you know if its Mac compatible?

The included software is nothing short of dreadful. I've never understood why Oceanic ignores it.

There are some 3rd party software packages that seem to work quite a bit better. It's a great computer though.

-Charles

I find Oceanlog to be a highly versatile program that can do far more than the average diver will ever want or need of it. The more of the features you use the more difficult the learning curve. If you want to use it's ability to add photos to the logs I'd suggest keeping them few and minimize the file sizes otherwise the program will start to become slow to load and switch between log files.

It has been my experience having seen other users attempts to use the program that they are often mistaken in what the input fields are asking for or how to add data to a specific field. Some times you just click on the field and type and other times you must right click select add new and then type. Some fields require intergers, some decimals and others alpha numerics. It all adds to the frustration and confusion. This complex logging package can do so much that it should come with a manual of its own or a video explaining each and every input field and how to make proper use of it.

I've been using it for many years in the early years it had bugs to work through . Although the complaints still pop up from time to time it has been stable and bug free for quite a while and complaints can usually be attributed to specific hardware/software conflicts which can happen to the best of software packages. Or often user error due to the lack of documentation. The only other major complaint has been the fact that it is Windows only and no official Mac version exists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom