Aeris Elite T3 or Oceanic VT3??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Viathan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings fellow divers!

As a new diver, I'm slowly gearing up. I have all the essential gear except a computer.
I know, I know, I can hear your groans through cyber space. You get asked all the time about computers, so rest assured that I've researched until my eyes crossed. I'm either going to get an Aeris Elite T3 or an Oceanic VT3. What I'd kinda like to know is what is your experience(s) with these computers specifically or the brands generally.

Is one, in your opinion, clearly superior to the other? If so, Why? Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Thanks in advance for your two cents worth.

P.S. I'm going to get a transmitter for whichever one I go with and am going to keep my analog SPG. Redundancy is your friend when Murphy comes to visit! ( He visits me on dry land often enough for it to be presumptuous that he can't dive as well!!)

I've had a VT3 since July 2010 and like it very much. Oceanic discontinued the VT3 and now offers the VT4.1. The Aeris Elite T3 is still marketed, essentially the same computer at the VT3 with a few cosmetic differences. Personally, I would expect to get the T3 for significantly less than the VT4.1

Both Oceanic and Aeris are part of American Underwater Products along with Hollis and some other scuba brands. The two computers have very similar specs and have the same buttons and screen layouts. I think you're looking at twins. I use an older wrist-mounted Oceanic VEO 180 and also have an analog console. Good idea to have both and know your tables. Good luck!

The VT 4.1 offers "improvements" over the VT3 such as 4 gases rathter than 3, dual algorithm, electronic compass, step-back viewing/programing, etc. Personally, step-back viewing/programing as per my Geo2 is really the only thing I would want. For others, the additional features may be desirable.

Good diving, Craig

I like the Oceanic.. I'm still using the DataTrans, workslike a charm!!

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your replies. I guess part 2 of my inquiry is if one could buy the Aeris for $75 less than the Oceanic, would the oceanic be worth the extra invesment? The Tech from my LDS is Oceanic all the way, and that is why I began researching Oceanic. I realize that the VT3 is discontinued in light of the VT4, but, with my whopping single digit number of dives, I don't think I can justify the additional $450 for the VT4. As to the electronic compass, I've got a compass on my analog SPG, and it'll work in case of power failure!

Your thoughts?

As alpegmusic said they are the same computer expect for a different sicker on the face. Why is this such a hard decision?
Pick a color and go diving.

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your replies. I guess part 2 of my inquiry is if one could buy the Aeris for $75 less than the Oceanic, would the oceanic be worth the extra invesment? The Tech from my LDS is Oceanic all the way, and that is why I began researching Oceanic. I realize that the VT3 is discontinued in light of the VT4, but, with my whopping single digit number of dives, I don't think I can justify the additional $450 for the VT4. As to the electronic compass, I've got a compass on my analog SPG, and it'll work in case of power failure!

Your thoughts?

A Toyota Matrix or a Pontiac Vibe?

Same car, different names. Buy the one with the better deal.

Fnfalman: Thank you for your constuctive input. I'm very happy to see that good manners are more prevalent in the southern half of your state. I know it's too much to "expect" from some people, but thanks for not brow beating the OP. The Aeris Elite T3 it is then!

BTW I've got a DSA Carbine. I'm more of a Kalashikov guy, but for social occasions, Mr. Fal comes out to play!!

Though I only have experience with Oceanic, I support your decision to go with the less expensive Aeris version of this computer. This is a really great computer, I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom