New lionfish catch tube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This was fun to build. I still need a clip for the upper sling. I will dive it next week in the pool and see how it works being towed with a scooter. Sling a al 40 on the right and Lionfish tube on the left. I shoot with my right and should be able to stuff the big ones in the tube to keep for dinner. Seems like it would work for lobsters as well. Lionfish polespear and tickle stick ride in a loop on the outside.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,343
Looks cool. I made a similar holder for the pole spear.. I? used a 8 inch long piece of pvc pipe. I rigged a small bolt snap on a piece of cord. For storage of the pole spear (when not in use) I stretch the pole spear band (forward toward the tip) enough to reach the bolt snap. The tension between the bolt snap and the rubber band, serves to hold the pole spear very securely and safely in the holster.

How is the top made, and of what. Assuming sko push through opening. Any details available?

I made my own out of parts from Lowes and Ace Hardware. The funnel was bought at Advanced Auto Parts. All in all, I am about $50 bucks into the thing, it works great and can hold lobsters, hog fish and lionfish as well.

Just stick it with a 3-4 foot pole spear with a paralyzer tip, push the damn thing into the funnel, pull the spear out and repeat.

the tube is pre cut 6 inch sewer pipe. It comes in a 2 foot section, perfect size. they also sell the end caps. You simply dremel out one end cap to make the hole for the funnel.

The other end cap, you put a PVC T through it to allow the water to drain when you get out. You dont want just a hole as a spinne will certainly get through.

Thumbscrews and stainless nut screws with spines on them do a great job of holding both end caps in place.

You cut the funnel with a razor blade and use a soldering iron to "stop drill" the end to prevent the crack from spreading. The funnels need replace from time to time but are cheap. My current funnell has had more than 400 lion fish go through it and is still holding strong. As you can see from the pic, it is getting a little worn and I need to make a new one soon.

I have made a few of these for friends. If anyone is interested, I can make them one.

Just doin my part to "Try" and keep the population under control.

photo%201.jpgphoto%202.jpgphoto%203.jpgphoto%204.jpg

both these idea sound very good -- i will have to consider making one myself.. although i need to get/make a pole spear short enough for lionfish. I remember someone made one from an old arrow. got a few of those in the shed that have lost their vanes. (32" or 33" length) Would the broad head that's currently on it work you think or do i have to rig up a paralyzer tip for it?

In my experience, a paralyzer tip is the ONLY way to go. I stick 9.9 out of ten of the bastards on the first shot with the paralyzer.

I have also found out that a spear length between 3 to 4 feet works best... For me.

Sent from 115 FSW.

I have a 3' Mako lionfish pole spear now and can't wait to try it. I used a 4' JBL plus paralyzer, so almost 5' long last season. It is to long in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom