Sunnto D6i with transmitter or Cobalt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking into purchasing a dive computer and like what the D6i offers. Anyone here actually diving with it on a regular basis? Any problems with the transmitter? Connecting to your home PC or Mac?

Also while out at a local dive center they showed me the Cobalt. I noticed a thread on it but its over 101 pages and not a lot of actual user reviews.

If you were not concerned with wrist mount or console which would you pick? And why?

Thanks!!

Never dove anything by Suunto, used to dive a Cobalt for everything from 30' reef dives to far outside recreational diving. My wife still uses a Cobalt. They don't seem to have much in common.

If you want tiny form factor, and you're willing to deal with a complicated user interface to get the fairly extensive functionality of the D6i, you may want that. If you want an outstanding OLED display for your information and the best user interface for accessing dive and non-dive functionality, and are willing to deal with a HP hose connection and console form fator, you may want the Cobalt.

Suuntos have a reputation for being very, very conservative and harshly penalizing certain profiles/surface intervals... from observation of others using them, they really don't seem to like decompression dives. The Cobalt has one of the most liberal alogorithms I've ever seen, even when the safety factors are dialed up, and it will not add "penalties" beyond whatever nitrogen loading your profile has caused. Something else to think about.

Take a read of the Cobalt manual if you haven't already... it's a neat piece of gear, and you can get a good sense of its interface and functionality this way. http://atomicaquatics.com/computer.html

Back
Top Bottom