Backplate weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavemanScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am using a Halcyon backplate for my singles set-up. This is my first backplate and I have a question. I want to add a "v-weight" to it to eliminate weight on the belt. Is this done on the inside of the backplate (between my back and the plate in the "groove")? I have seen lead v-weights from northeast supply and then the "adjustible" type of bag from like XS Scuba. What do you recommend?

Yes, it's positioned in the wedge. Also, halcyon has an excellent single tank adapter weight which although costs more, fits on the STA nicely and doesn't move as much as the other V weights.

Are all V-weights positioned in the wedge? One thing I don't like about the Halcyon STA is how far it holds the tank away from the back and thusly the plate.

I use the XS Scuba trim bag on the bottom hole of my plate. It has 4 lb in it.

"v-weights" are for doubles rigs, not single tanks--they sit between the tanks and the wing/plate. I can't imagine having one lying between the plate and my back, even in a Halcyon with its fairly deep bend. If you don't want to buy the weighted STA, you can put a couple of weight pouches on the tank straps.

I use a homemade 5lb lead shot v-weight on my setup. If I am diving doubles, it goes between the wing and the tanks. If I am diving singles, I put it in the plate grove as you described. It has never been noticable to me when diving the singles setup.

With my steel plate and steel tanks I sink a full 7mm no problem. If I was to add wieght with other rigs I use a 4# block wieght on my waist strap secured with a extra buckle. I was using the wieght pouches but stopped using them as I just never need to add that much wieght. Even in alum 80 doubles I only hang a tail wieght made from webbing and a hot screwdriver

Back
Top Bottom