What Lies Beneath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was convinced I would be doing yard work this weekend thanks to the approaching storms. Seven to nine feet surf was predicted for Los Angeles County. We stopped by Vet's yesterday to check out the high surf. Instead, we saw three footers with blue water. We called Kevin Lee and told him that diving was on for Sunday.

This morning the water was even flatter! I was really getting my hopes up. We motored to the wreck of the Avalon and dropped anchor into small swells. Visibility on the wreck was three to four feet. It was as if there was a filter in front of our eyes. I made the best of the situation, but couldn't get any decent photos.

We headed for the Hermosa Artificial Reef, hoping for better vis. Gliding down the anchor rode, the water looked much cleaner. As I reached the chain however, I couldn't see the bottom three feet below. Surge and less than two feet vis made for an even worse dive than the first. I stuck it out, hoping to find something interesting. I told myself several times under water that at least the air fills were free. I had hoped to sneak in a day of diving when everyone else stayed home. I should have done the same.

WreckoftheAvalon5.jpg

WreckoftheAvalon4.jpg

WreckoftheAvalon3.jpg

Last edited:
Love how you captured the detail on the mouth of the Corynactis californica. Excellent Cabezon still as well. He looks to be well fed :D

I love the cowries -- finding one always feels to me as though I've found a piece of lost jewelry. Nothing underwater should look that perfectly polished and shiny!

Back
Top Bottom