Looking for Youth Private Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Scubaboard :)

My wife and I are looking for a instructor for one on one instruction for our 11yr old daughter. We are having a very difficult time finding someone to certify her not in a class environment. We are both divers and are planning a three generation dive trip this summer. So we would like to start as soon as possible. Our daughter is 5' 1", 105lbs, very athletic, and is very naturally at ease in the water. She has been snorkeling a lot before and feels very comfortable diving down under the water, needless to say she is a good swimmer. We live in the south end of puget sound near Sumner. If you are a instructor or know someone who is, and would be interested in taking on a young student, please respond. Thank you all for your time. Happy diving!

My husband has certified several kids that age. I asked him; he would be happy to do a private class for you. He is retired, so time is flexible. You can look him at at his website, belowandbeyond.biz. He is Peter Guy on this board, and I can give you some references, if you want them.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday who has the same request ... a 10 (almost 11) year old granddaughter who wants to get certified for a 3-generation dive trip to Bonaire next summer. I also recommended Peter.

I love teaching kids ... unfortunately, with NAUI they need to be 12 ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Training that young in this area is definitely better for one on one instruction. I do not specialize in teaching young people myself (that requires a special level of patience:D) but I too have heard good things about Peter. What Area are you in? Many stores in the region have instructors and equipment specifically for young divers. If you opt for a private instructor (non store affiliated) I would advise making sure they have access to properly sized equipment for your daughter and appropriate for a small person in cold water. Small children that I have taught tend to be particularly prone to cold and I teach my students in drysuits.

I was going to suggest Bob or Peter. Looks like Bob can not so that makes the choice easy.

Back
Top Bottom