Liquivision Xen - really nice, but .....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently had a chance to try out the Liquivision Xen bottom timer and I was thoroughly impressed by it for the readability of the screen and the screen layout. I think it's safe to say that nothing else on the market even comes close in terms of readability, especially in low light.

So being Christmas and all I went online to see about getting myself a present for being me and

OMFG....

they are *rediculously* expensive.

No Xen for Diver0001 :(

They're really nice but they seriously need to cut price in 1/2 before I'll buy one. At 420 Euros it's not even close to being in the ballpark for what a bottom timer should cost. The Uwatec one I have costs a little over 100 euros IIRC so for 200-250 I'd add the Xen to my kit because the screen is THAT good.... But 420? get serious.

I also got a chance to see (but not use) their computer with Vplanner on it and it looked really nice too. I'm not in the market for a computer right now but if I were then I'd be giving this one serious consideration. The tapping to control the menus is great, the screen is great and being able to take vplanner with you under water is great. I'm not sure if the one I saw was a prototype or a production version but it definitely has the "wow factor".

All in all, thumbs up for the products, thumbs down on the price.

R..

I have a xen, and agree that it was ridiculously expensive. I think the OLED screen technology is still very expensive and will probably come down in the next few years, and after Liquivision recaptures some of their R&D costs, that will probably drop the price a bit too. Just guessing.

You can score a used one at a reasonable price, they pop up from time to time on ebay, thedecostop, and here. I questioned the plastic construction, but so far so good with mine, and I'm no princess with gear.

I decided not to put on the protector film that came with it (except for the screen) and it seems that the body of the xen is pretty soft plastic and gets dented up quite easily, however, no real problems with it after about 30 dives.

The X1 you saw is not a prototype -- that's the production model.

The devices are expensive, but the OLED screens aren't cheap to source, and all the assembly is done in Canada, so labor isn't cheap, either. And it's a very small volume item.

I've had a Zen Bottom Timer since it first came out. My concern was with the quality of the case. I am in the water all the time and do a lot of North East Wreck/Tec Diving and the case has held up fine with no issues. The only issue I had was with Battery Life. I switched over to the rechargeable batteries and have had NO issues. I know that they are more money, but I lend mine out for people to try and feel like I am diving in the dark when I use the Uwatec Bottom Timer. Guess I am just spoiled with how easy the Zen is to see & use.

I've had a Zen Bottom Timer since it first came out. My concern was with the quality of the case. I am in the water all the time and do a lot of North East Wreck/Tec Diving and the case has held up fine with no issues. The only issue I had was with Battery Life. I switched over to the rechargeable batteries and have had NO issues. I know that they are more money, but I lend mine out for people to try and feel like I am diving in the dark when I use the Uwatec Bottom Timer. Guess I am just spoiled with how easy the Zen is to see & use.

I agree with everything Wayne said, I've had my Xen since they came out (serial number is below 50, IIRC) and love it. I'm not easy on my gear and it's been tossed around on dive boats and spent more than its fair share of time sitting at the bottom of milk crates under regs, backplates and it's held up great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the assembly is done in Canada,

Well that explains why they're so awesome then :D

Just hating the price, even if there is a reason for it. :) I've never bought a bit of gear that I thought I needed to explain to my wife before but if I put this under the tree for myself we could be breaking new and perilous ground :)

she'll be like, "for that price, why didn't you take me to Rome for a few days". and I'll be like, "uuuhhhhh". Not the way I want to start off on Christmas day :)

R..

Reactions: Jax
Well, there's your answer. The Xen under the tree for you, and a ticket to Rome for her . . . :)

Back
Top Bottom