Nikon WP-N1 and J1/J2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandiego_frank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone had the chance to look at the WP-N1 housing that Nikon makes for the J1/J2 mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras? I stumbled into them when researching housing/camera options. These cameras look pretty interesting. The price tags on both the cameras and the housing are not huge, $1000-$1200 for camera and housing will get you started. The cameras will shoot raw, they have interchangeble lenses (although the lens options are limited), 73 point autofocus array, 10 fps. The reviews I've read on the J1/J2 cameras have all been pretty good. The housing has 2 ports for fiber optic cables to connect external strobes which are controlled by the cameras built in flash. Seems like an interesting package.

Last one of the night I promise. Just never see many posts about this camera and housing combination, and now with the housing practically being given away, would like to see more folks using it. I combine the WP-N1 with the J1 and 10-30mm kit lens. I also have a Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobe attached to the combo. It's small, easy to use, and focuses faster and more accurately than my buddy's SeaLife set up.

LARC-Fish.jpg

LARC-Explore.jpg

Best,
-Tim

I was looking at those $97 housings as a backup set-up, then I looked up the specs and it said maximum strobe syn 1/60sec. Are they serious? No wonder nobody shoots these under water. 1/60 is about the minimum strobe sync speed that most photographers I know shoot. On really wide angle at depth, I might go to 1/30 but typically I'm shooting 1/125-1/250.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom