Taking a baby to Puerto Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am a first time dad with a kid about to turn one year old next week. I was thinking of taking my wife and kid along with me to Puerto Rico as flights from DC are cheap. Has anyone done this before? Is it a good idea to take a baby along or should I be worried about things I am unable to foresee?

Thanks.

Are you insane? Leave that baby at home! I have three kids and I would never, ever travel there with them at that age.!

Are you insane? Leave that baby at home! I have three kids and I would never, ever travel there with them at that age.!

Why? Could you please elaborate? Thanks.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I don't like PR. Period. Nothing about it would make me want to go back. Nothing. Having said that, I would also not take a one year old to Mexico (I live in SoCal). I think that traveling with kids that young to exotic locations bring up too many unexpected issues that can make things dangerous and unpleasant. Heck, I never liked taking my kids that young to Hawaii on vacation, buyt had to at times. I'm not paranoid or overly conservative, just that my age and experience tell me to travel with kids when they are a bit older

I think it would help to know where you plan to go in Puerto Rico and what you want to do. I'm not a big fan of bringing babies to exotic locations, but that's just me. I'd give careful thought to baby food and supplies. If you are staying in a major city such as San Juan, Ponce, Fajardo or Mayaguez you will find stores like KMart, and Walmart. There are good supermarkets all over the island. Many towns (unless you are in the mountains) have one or more Walgreens. You may not, however, see the exact same brands that you have in your home neighborhood. You may see more Latin American brands than mainland US brands. So, if you need a certain brand/flavor of baby food, you might not be able to find it.

I was heading to LaParguera which is a few hours drive from San Juan. After reading reply from promocop, I am inclined not to take him with me.

I was heading to LaParguera which is a few hours drive from San Juan. After reading reply from promocop, I am inclined not to take him with me.

promocop is exagerating....would you take your baby to Miami? or Key West? that is as exotic as Puerto Rico gets as far as the baby is concerned. Like Jlevine said, there's a walgreens in most towns, large grocery stores carry the mainstream baby brands etc. La Parguera is pretty touristy and accessible, I would not judge it by the distance from San Juan, the second largest city (Ponce) is about 40 miles east, and the third (Mayaguez) is about 20 miles northwest.

If you are going to La Parguera, there are some small markets in town which have some baby goods. You are about 30-40 minutes from Yauco Plaza off of Route 2 which has a good sized KMart and a nice size grocery store. The exit is a couple of miles before the turn off to Lajas/La Parguera if you are coming from San Juan. You are about the same distance from San German through the back roads (follow the signs). There's a pretty big shopping center there as well. One thing I like about PR is that if you forget to bring somethng, you can often just buy it there.

Also, if for whatever reason you need urgent medical care, there are good size hospitals in San German, Mayaguez, and Ponce and of course San Juan and other cities. I do suggest you bring some baby sunscreen. The sun can be strong. Also, it would be good to have some netting if you are outdoors at night. La Parguera can get some noseeums and mosquitoes at dusk - not much, but some.

It's not so bad if you're not looking for a "relaxing" vacation. I've taken my son on the following trips with no issues:

Florida @ 6 months
Mexico @ 9 months
Mexico @ 15 months
Maui @ 26 months
Turks and Caicos @ 30 months
Big Island @ 3 yrs
Grand Cayman and possibly Bahamas coming up soon....

It's much easier staying at a 1-2 bedroom condo over a hotel room, huge difference!

I'm coming from Canada too so the flights are longer. If I didn't travel with my kid I wouldn't be able to travel so that's why I do it:wink:

Wife watches him when I dive.

As Angry Turtle said, taking a kid to Puerto Rico is no worse than taking him into DC for an afternoon, probably easier. La Parguera isn't exactly a hotspot for easy baby supplies, but if you plan properly, you should easily be able to get everything you need for a weeks stay there. Visit Magayez island (where the marine college is) and show the little one the iguanas there, but watch out, they will bite your toes. Or, they bit mine, but maybe my toes look tasty....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom