Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Portlock

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I am new to scuba diving and I am planning on becoming an instructor. I am only an open water diver just now and I only dive when I am on holiday as I live in Scotland it diving over here doesnt really appeal to me. So my question is do you think that it is worth buying a dive computer at this stage or I should wait till I become more experienced. Thanks for helping :)

There's no harm in getting one now. Just make sure you get one that will suit your future requirements. You can get a Suunto Zoop for £140 that will do all you need for recreational diving as it supports air and nitrox. If you decide to get into technical diving at some point, be aware it doesn't support gas switching (switching to a rich nitrox mix to speed up decompression).

A second point, why do you not want to dive in Scotland? Scotland has some of the best diving in the world, such as the sound of Mull and Scapa Flow.

You should be using a computer or bottom timer on all your dives regardless of depth or duration. Purchasing one ensures that you are familar with the various displays and alarms.

On a side note, I am not sure how you are going to advance to the level of "Instructor" if your diving experience is limited to vacation dives. You need to dive regularly to improve and ingrain your skills. Cold water diving with the right exposure protection can be amazing.

Bob (Toronto)

I just snagged a D4i the other day. The free transmitter deal made it too enticing to pass up. Taking it to the pool this weeknd to break in some new gear and to get familiar with it.

If you truly plan on going through to instructor don't bother with a computer at this point. A depth gauge, dive watch, and tables are a better investment. Take the money you'd spend on the computer and do some local diving. Scotland is a dream destination for me. Diving Scapa Flow is one of those things that I dream about doing. Hell I'd give damn near anything to dive Loch Ness!

Instructors need to know how to calculate dives with tables. Work on your buoyancy, trim, and basic skills. Do as much diving as you can. Locally as well as in other locations. The computer can wait.

I've dived Loch Ness to 400ft (I was in a mini-sub) and there's nothing to see.

That aside, diving in Scotland will at least* mean you keep up-to-date with skills so that when you do do your divemaster then instructor courses and exams somewhere warm you will find it much easier.

*the only reason; really wouldn't want to be subjected to this kind of miserable diving.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8ZRiWhHzors

I got to spend over a week in Inverness. Visited Loch Ness several times. Unfortunately there was no diving going on. REALLY neat and pretty area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom