Looking at a light for SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Finally decided to go get a canister light! I have been looking at the Light Monkey series and noticed they have a "SM Version" which comes with different cord configuration / length etc., compared to the normal "BM version"

I was wondering if there's any advantage in purchasing this SM version? I've read an older thread in regards to light mounting options in a SM situation, if I mount the light on the waist strap as per BM would the "SM light" actually be a disadvantage? Wondering in what mounting situation does this "SM version" have a real advantage?

Thanks heaps in advance for any tips and advice.

The SM versions are optimized for butt mounting, thus the longer cord and the right angle cord feed. If you don't plan on putting your light there, I don't see these features as an advantage, but it has worked out very well for me. I have the their 12W LED in the sidemount version. It provides plenty of light, although I do miss the big 21W beam in the larger chambers.

I dive with a LM 35w HID in the SM configuration lid. butt mounted it has many advantages. In a waist mount setup it works fine. I simply angle the cord forward and run it under my harness and up my left arm. I have more cord, but a wrap around the arm solves this. 98% of the time the light is butt mounted though. I mount mine very low and so it sits lower then my butt. This helps keep a low profile.

If you ever plan on butt mounting your light, the get this style light. I also have another light that is not setup this way. In butt mount the cord protrudes and curls back in to my body, or it gets pulled at a weird angle and strain is placed on it. The SM light just shoots straight up along my right hip and up across my chest to my left arm with no issues.

What I do is buy lights with a slightly longer cord. While the sidemount lid is a great idea, this isn't available in all lights or all sizes. However, most manufacturers will be able to put a longer cord on a canister light. I have 50 inch/125 cm long cords on my Tilly Tec light and my Light Monkey light and both work well. What I like about my Tilly Tec light is its modularity. I can do away with the cord completely and just connect the light head directly to the battery. This works great for really tight passage where you don't want a cord to get hung up on the ceiling, floor, or walls.

Rob, will the Tilly-tec light heads work with Greenforce batteries?

Like Rob, we have SM length cords on our butt mounted primary lights and it works fine, although our light monkey lights pre-date the availability of the 90 degree angled SM canister top.

I have a 12W LED Light Monkey, but I also have a Titan Hydro-light, and it can be used either with a canister and cord (and 12 hours of burn time), or with just the 3.75 hour battery in the light head itself. I find that's often handy in smaller cave and it's nice on offshore wrecks where the penetrations are short and the entanglement risk a bit more common.

Huge thanks to everyone on sharing your experience. So from what I've been reading, there's no harm in ordering the 90 degree and longer cord even if I ended up waist mounting? The SM version just keeps my options open on mounting points?

From what I've been reading, I should also purchase the metal goodman handmount as the 12W only comes with this soft handle that people seemed to think is crap?

One last question, being my first canister light purchase. Just how bright is 12W? I don't need something that's super bright, but I plan to take a tech wreck course in the future so it'll need to be bright enough for that.

I am completely happy with the performance of my 9 watt Light Monkey LED light in any cave condition or wreck diving condition I've encountered. 12 watt and 18 watt lights generally are good for all diving conditions. 21 watt lights are great for big rooms and daylight signaling, but they can be a little like high beams in a snow storm when the water is turbid.

No arguments hear great advice and LM makes some awesome lights.
I want to through a Light Dude in the mix.
You can get either the SM or traditional version as far as chord is concerned.
I was very impressed with the light and other than a few custom LED lights I have dove with it was very bright.
Just a thought to check it out once again no negatives with a LM light other than the Light Dude light buried the 21 watt LED. Just my opinion and experience.

CamG

Huge thanks to everyone on sharing your experience. So from what I've been reading, there's no harm in ordering the 90 degree and longer cord even if I ended up waist mounting? The SM version just keeps my options open on mounting points?

From what I've been reading, I should also purchase the metal goodman handmount as the 12W only comes with this soft handle that people seemed to think is crap?

One last question, being my first canister light purchase. Just how bright is 12W? I don't need something that's super bright, but I plan to take a tech wreck course in the future so it'll need to be bright enough for that.
Until it got swept into the sound during Irene, we had a DR LED700 hand held that had a SM length cord on it that we used as a spare primary.

It was set up for butt mounting, but for belt mount purposes the extra cord could be coiled and secured in the waist belt with a couple velcro cable ties where it was not a snag hazard.

I've found that my 12W LM is fine in 95% of the caves we are in. in places that are large and a little milky (P3 or Lafayette Blue for example), or are just huge (portions of Manatee between Friedmans and Catfish) I'd prefer a little more light, and in particular the tighter focus of an HID, but it's not worth the bother and the difference is not that great.

I was not a big fan of the soft goodman handle on the LM, but it is nice if you keep the light in a pocket as aback up primary.

Personally, rather than a metal goodman handle, I prefer the thumb hole style "glove" that Titan uses with their lights and the similar model that Oxycheq sells. Both will work fine with a 12W Light Monkey It takes a couple dives to master it, and switching hands temporarily takes a couple seconds longer, but it's very comfortable, allows full hand use and the light is very stable and secure. And, like the soft goodman handle, it stores well in a pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom