What size wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a recreational diver interested in purchasing my first BP/W. I live in South Florida, so all the diving I've ever done (and the majority I expect to do in the future) is warm water with single AL80s. I've pretty much settled on Diverite, just because they seem to be the tried and true low cost goto manufacturer. I've looked at pretty much everyone else: Halcyon, DSS, OMS, Oxycheq, Hollis, Hog, etc.

My question though is what size wing should I get. I'm looking to order as a package (for a very reasonable price) and I can get the Diverite 25lb "travel wing" or the 35lb wing for the same price. While the 25lb wing will be great for warm water singles, I worry that if I ever want to dive in colder water (no drysuit) that perhaps requires a 5 or 7mm that the amount of weight I would have to add (currently I use 8lbs on a belt with a 3/5 full or 4lbs with trunks and rashguard) would be dangerous with only a 25lb lift capacity.

On the other hand, would the 35lb be considerably more cumbersome than the 25? I want as streamlined of a setup as possible.

I use the DR 27# wing with a 6# SS back plate. Using an AL 80, in salt water I wear a 3mm jump suit and no extra weight. In fresh water I wear a 5mm jump suite and 4# lead. Hope that helps.

If you'll be diving in mostly warm water and with minimal exposure gear you could get away with 25lbs but in choppy conditions, 30 is better.

35 might be a bit large unless you plan on using steel tanks but still very doable and the voyager is still pretty slim.

Personally I still rather get the oxycheq 30.

Since, you are in FL why not talk to Edd at caveadventurers.com

I'm with SangP, The 25 would be a nice minimal local wing but if you for to cold water a 30 would be much better. The Oxycheq Mk-5 30 is working well for me in all conditions. (AL80-HP-100, trunks to full drysuit, salt & fresh ) ScubaToys with the ScubaBoard member discount isn't a bad deal either.

Pete

Definitely get the smaller wing. Dive rite wings are generally big for their rated lift, and dive rite seems to recommend much larger wings than is optimum in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of lift on warm water with the travel wing. If and when you go to colder water, you may or may not need a bigger wing, probably not, but I would not choose to dive with a bigger wing than necessary. All the wing has to do is compensate for wetsuit compression and float your rig at the surface.

The smaller one would be better but like others have suggested above A 30 lbs wing would suit you better. I personally like the Hollis (30lbs class) wing. The travel wing to me was not as robust as I prefer but It would work great for what it is designed for, travel its is light and minimalist and cheap enough that you don't mind leaving it at your destination if need be.

I'd recommend buy the wing that is best suit to the majority of your diving. The few times that you're going to do cold diving, I'm sure that you can probably borrow a bigger wing from a friend by then. Or rent a BC from a local source.

For tropical diving with AL tanks I use an 18 lbs travel wing. I put all weight in my belt so the rig can float itself when I am out of it. For winter diving I use 40 lbs wing because instead of a weight belt my weights are in the rig itself (Its too much weight for the belt and tends to slide off of me). If I was not carrying all the weight in my rig then I could use 30 lbs too but with oxycheq wings, 10 lbs lift is not too noticeable drag anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom